2 Q's - Transferring From 10 To 20 Gal

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by brook.lyn, Apr 23, 2017.

1. brook.lynValued MemberMember

I have fish sitting in a temporary tank, and I've been doing daily water changes waiting for the tank to cycle. It's been 4 months! It's a 10 gallon, but my parents recently got me a 20 gallon long. Which is the exact tank I need for my fish :)

If u have seen my other million posts, you know that this 10 gallon I'm trying to cycle has been a pain. But I'm finally at the end, where you dose (in my case 1ppm) of ammonia then wait 24 hours. And my tank has been stuck in the same spot - just going to .25 - .50 nitrite in 24 hours. It's been like this for weeks. But, since I have the 20 gallon.. could I transfer everything to the 20 gallon without ruining my cycle?

I would move the filter and everything to the 20 gallon, including sand and decor and stuff. Will I ruin my cycle if I do this? I wouldn't think so, since all the bacteria is in my filter.. but just to be safe.

My second question, is the filter I'm using is 5-20 gallons and it was perfect for my 10 gallon since it's in between 5-20, but would the filter still work for my 20 gallon and still filter affectively? The fish I'm putting in there are pretty messy and need good filtration but it would obviously be just temporary. And then I would upgrade to a 10-30 gal filter. I use the fluval HOB filter.

Thanks in advance xx

2. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

Hmm, it might actually help things if you do it that way. You could also just get a sponge filter to put in the new tank to help with the filtration, and help with the bb. I'd go ahead and move everything over and just add some tetra safe start plus to the mix to really seed everything, then your fish should be ready to go in pretty quickly i'd imagine!

3. brook.lynValued MemberMember

Thank you!

4. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Moving everything over to a new tank wont affect your cycle at all

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice