2 Plecos In 40g

Bettalad
hI all, would it be acceptable to keep 2 suckermouth catfish in a 40 gallon tank? Tank currently contains 6 Cory’s, 1 pleco, 1 apple snail and a male betta

Advertisement
Discus-Tang
What species? Most likely no, due to their massive size and need for cooler water than bettas.

Advertisement
Bettalad
What species? Most likely no, due to their massive size and need for cooler water than bettas.

Bristlenose

Discus-Tang
No, unless you removed the betta.

Demeter
I'd stick to just one BN pleco. Don't want to risk having 2 males which would fight a bit or having a m/f pair which will breed and overrun the tank with dozens of BN fry.

You can easily keep a brisltenose with a betta. While BN do prefer cooler temps they should be just fine on the lower end of the betta temperature requirement, so around 76-78.

Bettalad
I was just worrying about the temp! I’ve posted on here about my tank before and I was never told they couldn’t be kept together! Temp in tank right now is 76.

Advertisement

CatfishGuy
I'm keeping 2 m/f pairs of bns in a 20 long, and surprisingly they don't fight. DO NOT RECOMMEND. They're doing perfectly fine, but they'll get bigger homes, male normal is gonna get a 29 with a few others, 55 is gonna get 3 and they will be friends with hopefully 5 meekI firemouths.

If you're willing to do smaller plecs, try clown plecos, they're temp compatible with bettas.

Barch
I have a fully grown about 5 inch bristlenose pleco in a 20 gallon high and I think he is actually little too big for the tank but I like him too much get rid of them and he's been fine with the temperature right at 80 degrees for over 2 years now

A201
Hello Bettalad
One male and one female BN Pleco would likely work in a 40 gal. Tank. Two males probably won't get along. Be a good idea to add
DW. My BN's are often seen knawing on Malaysian DW. I'm not sure what temp. Is better suited for BN Plecos. My tank temps range from 78 - 82 degrees and the Plecos do fine and are long lived.

georgelee1000
I would not keep Betta and bn pleco together. They prefer different temp. Of course one can tolerate higher/lower temp, prob won’t thrive. 2 in 40 gal otherwise, doable with a lot of hiding place.

Advertisement

Bettalad
Thanks all for replies! Super helpful happy to hear useful info from all of you guys!

tuffcookie
What are everyone’s thoughts on keeping 2 Plecos in 1 tank, if they are both really young and small to start?

Dennis57
What size tank? I have 8 different plecos in a 125

tuffcookie
40 gallon. Thinking a green dragon BN, and blue eye BN. I read somewhere that it’s only recommended to keep 1 in a tank since they are territorial, but I’m not sure if this is right or not

Advertisement

bizaliz3
Two females would be ideal.

Two males may fight.

A male and female could get you overrun with babies. I do believe the lemons and green dragons can cross breed. And plecos breed like crazy.

tuffcookie
Is it possible to determine the gender of BN that’s 1in or is it too early? I will have to look up breeding chart or some info on it. The ones I can pick from are green dragon, super red, blue eye lemon, golden dragon.

I just don’t want fighting and not sure I want breeding. My tank is 36”.

Are plecos only territorial towards their own kind, or are they going to try to eat my cories? Some articles I’m reading say it’s ok to keep a few together some say no.

My tank was intended to be a Cory only tank + 1 Pleco. Seller was originally selling at the least 4 per order but will do 2

bizaliz3
Is it possible to determine the gender of BN that’s 1in or is it too early? I will have to look up breeding chart or some info on it. The ones I can pick from are green dragon, super red, blue eye lemon, golden dragon.

I just don’t want fighting and not sure I want breeding. My tank is 36”.

Are plecos only territorial towards their own kind, or are they going to try to eat my cories? Some articles I’m reading say it’s ok to keep a few together some say no.

My tank was intended to be a Cory only tank + 1 Pleco. Seller was originally selling at the least 4 per order but will do 2

Not unfortunately you can't sex them that tiny.

All those plecos are different color morphs of the same species. So they can cross breed.

Its trial and error. That's why you see conflicting info. Fish personalities vary even amongst the same species.

Go ahead and get 4 one inch babies. Grow them out until the are sexable and then rehome 2???

tuffcookie
So if they breed they will look funny?

The seller was nice enough to go down to 2. I’ll give it a shot and see if I need to rehome 1. I just really don’t want to see bloodshed. I go home and count all my shrimp and cories everyday lol

Thanks for all the help and info

Advertisement

bizaliz3
So if they breed they will look funny?

The seller was nice enough to go down to 2. I’ll give it a shot and see if I need to rehome 1. I just really don’t want to see bloodshed. I go home and count all my shrimp and cories everyday lol

Thanks for all the help and info

There is a good chance they would simply produce common browns.

Mcasella
Only the dragons would produce nonbrown babies. But in a 40 with enough hiding places you can do two males (if they get along in the first place). Its not really bloodshed, mostly just fighting over hiding places or females and keeping their territories (males can kill each other, don't get me wrong, but there isn't really blood involved).

Haven't had any issues with cories/shrimp and plecos.

BettaNgold
I tried with 2 juveniles and one killed the other overnight.

AngryRainbow
It all depends on the personality of the pleco. I put two little bristlenose plecos in my 120 gallon and one killed the other. The now grown female is definitely still the boss of the tank. She'll bat my blood parrots out of the way if she wants the food they're going after. But I know other people have no problem keeping a couple small types of plecos in 55s, so I don't think mine situation is the norm.

So I think 2 plecos in a 40 could work if you have enough hides, and as long as you don't end up with a cranky queen like I did haha.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ulu
Replies
Views
Sean Smith
  • Question
Replies
Views
Candace
Replies