2 penguin 200 biowheels Too Much Filtration?

Mr.C
I have a 36 gallon bowfront with 2 penguin 200 biowheels. Is that too much water movement? Put in 2 angels and dwarf garoumis in yesterday. One garoumI has already died. Please help, first tank in years and I just want to make it right.

Small Tanks
Did you cycle the tank first?

I don't know that I would put angles and a garoumI together.

Mr.C
Yeah cycled and had pet store test the water.the angels have bothered the garoumis but the local stores don't seem very helpful with advice.

Mick Frost
I have a 36 gallon bowfront with 2 penguin 200 biowheels. Is that too much water movement? Put in 2 angels and dwarf garoumis in yesterday. One garoumI has already died. Please help, first tank in years and I just want to make it right.
400gph is a little excessive, yes, especially with Gouramis. 1 of those is enough.

Mr.C
The angels seem fine and the one garoumI seems to do fine.

NavyChief20
Dont put angels with gouramis. That is asking for trouble.

Mr.C
What would be a good combo for a 36 gallon bowfront with 2 angels? I read mollies are a good tank mate..what else?

NavyChief20
Angels like most cichlids can get really mean . you'll need something that shares parameters but schools. I exclusively keep cichlids now so I may not be the best source. I will say I have seen some danios with angels with a lot of sucess

Mr.C
Well I unplugged one of my filters for now. So can you put oscars with angels?

NavyChief20
Well I unplugged one of my filters for now. So can you put oscars with angels?

Not only no but **** no. Unless you want the angels to be feeders. Also a 36 is too small for 1 oscar

Mr.C
Plecos? Or what algae eaters?

NavyChief20
yeah a plecos depending on species. Coridoras would be cool. Panda Corys

Mr.C
Well I think tomorrow I'll pick up a pleco and snails.still like to figure out a bigger fish that would go with the 2 angels. Can't trust petsmart staff apparently.would rams be a good addition?

NavyChief20
Rams are tricky. They are cichlids. Cichlids are generally terretorial. You need a non cichlid species with the angels. Nothing that has lots of fins or is/looks aggressive. The angels will eventually kill them.

Mr.C
Dalmatian mollies and bristle nosed pleco are on my list. What about cherry barbs?

NavyChief20
barbs are notoriously fin nippers....and your angels are finny. Just my two cents

Mr.C
NavyChief20
plants are always a benefit yes

Small Tanks
Have you personally tested the water? You need to get one, the strips are easier for beginners. You need to make sure your water is ammonia and nitrate/nitrite free before you put ANYTHING else in there. And the gamourI should go back to the pet store.

Once that's in place either 6 - 8 cories or a smaller pleco would work with the angels + a school of rasboras or tetras. But do not add them all at the same time. And again ONLY when your water is stable. Do not trust the pet store, check it yourself.

Mr.C
Chief what's your rate? I was a seabee years ago....CM3

Mr.C
Water is good....as for returning the fish the dead have 14 day warranty which I will use tomorrow for the garoumis.I was planning on bottom feeder and some snails before I add more fish.

NavyChief20
Chief what's your rate? I was a seabee years ago....CM3

Nice what's going on brother! I'm a Machinist Mate. MMNC. Buddy of mine I DEP'd with went SEABEE.

Mr.C
Did 7 yrs before I got the boot in 04 for bad knees.

NavyChief20
yeah almost 20 years on submarines and my knees are shot

jdhef
Mr.C how did you cycle your tank? The reason I ask is that many people are under the false impression (usually given by the fish store) that cycling a tank is just a matter of filling the tank with water and letting the filter run for an arbitrary amount of days. They then take a water sample to the fish store (and assuming your tap water has no ammonia, nitrites or nitrates in it) are told there water "looks good" and told they can add fish.

Buy the nitrogen cycle is a biological process that begins once ammonia is present in the water and completes once you have developed two separate bacteria colonies in your filter media. One colony converts ammonia (which the fish release into the water) into nitrites ad the other colony converts the nitrites into nitrates.

Many times when fish die soon after being introduced into the tank, it is caused by improper acclimation. Many people just float the bag in the tank for some amount of time to get the water temps to match, but really you need to add small amounts of tank water into the bag about every 15 minutes for about 1 1/2 hours or so in order o acclimate the fish to the water chemistry of the tank water.

And finally...Welcome to FishLore! I hope you enjoy it here.

Mr.C
Well got me a few moss balls and a small peppered corie and a small bristlenose pleco.

Mr.C
Well added some koi swordtails and 2 more cories. How quickly do bn pleco grow I swear mine tripled in size this week.

NavyChief20
Well added some koi swordtails and 2 more cories. How quickly do bn pleco grow I swear mine tripled in size this week.
I have a sailfin who is 6 months and he is 10"

Mr.C
Seems all my additions are getting along so far.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CindyVBPets
Replies
Views
CHJ
Replies
Views
el337
Replies
Views