2 Part question about stocking and tank sizes and the nitrogen cycle

darthlung

So I have a 20 gallon tank right now and thinking about upgrading to either a 29 gallon or a 20 long. Currently I have a stock of 1 pleco, 4 yoyo loaches, 5 guppies, and 2 rando's that my daughter got and I don't know the species. I really only wanna upgrade cause my babies (the loaches) seem like they aren't getting enough space. So if I upgrade to a 29 inch could I add a rainbow shark to this stock and maybe a dwarf gourami or would it be too crowded? Also if I change and use the same filter the cycle should be uninterrupted right?

JamesVader

I’m not sure about the stocking question (I haven’t Kemp most of those fish) but if you use the same filter it should work out okay, but I would feed lightly for a few days just in case. Also when you move the filter make sure you keep it running the whole time you are moving you fish and stuff, so that the bacteria don’t die.

Upvote 0

darthlung

I’m not sure about the stocking question (I haven’t Kemp most of those fish) but if you use the same filter it should work out okay, but I would feed lightly for a few days just in case. Also when you move the filter make sure you keep it running the whole time you are moving you fish and stuff, so that the bacteria don’t die.
lol our names are the same but opposites, okay thanks for the tip, im not sure how that'll work for me but I can try, I usually leave it off when I do water changes so it should be fine no?

Upvote 0

fallfever

I have never considered keeping loaches with guppies, so I cannot speak for that stocking. I would prefer a 55 gallon for a shark as they are really active and usually around the bottom and that lack of space could make them even more territorial and aggressive to the loaches or anything that happens to get in their way. The gourami? Sure, if you have plenty of filtration (I'm suggesting more that one filter). That could be a pretty heavy bioload otherwise. The 29 tank would be a preference. Just a thought.

Upvote 0

darthlung

I have never considered keeping loaches with guppies, so I cannot speak for that stocking. I would prefer a 55 gallon for a shark as they are really active and usually around the bottom and that lack of space could make them even more territorial and aggressive to the loaches or anything that happens to get in their way. The gourami? Sure, if you have plenty of filtration (I'm suggesting more that one filter). That could be a pretty heavy bioload otherwise. The 29 tank would be a preference. Just a thought.
My daughter likes the gourami but im leaning more toward 29 gallon

Upvote 0

fallfever

Other part of your question was about the cycle. You should be able to move your old filter over with your current stock and be ok, but I'd let it stay that way a while before adding more fish. I don't know how much filtration you had going, but better to have too much than too little. I think your daughter is right

Upvote 0

darthlung

Other part of your question was about the cycle. You should be able to move your old filter over with your current stock and be ok, but I'd let it stay that way a while before adding more fish. I don't know how much filtration you had going, but better to have too much than too little. I think your daughter is right
lol cool thanks for the tips!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
darthlung
  • Question
Replies
Views
LoachWhisperer
  • Question
Replies