Important 2 of my female Swordtail fish are sick. URGENT PLEASE HELP!

Will API General Cure help treat my fish with dropsy and camallanus worms?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

NewbieAquarist

Reaction score
!!Please HELP!!

I know that fish get sick when they are stressed, but I don't know why mine are.

I have a hunch it might be the bladder snail infestation I got when I bought an aquatic plant at Petco. As far as I can tell, the first female has dropsy, and the other has camallanus worms which are barely noticeable.

I've had my 2 female and one male red velvet swordtail fish for around two months now.
I have a 10 gallon tank, but no hospital tank, but I do have a 1 gallon container.

I'm thinking of trying an epsom salt bath for Dropsy, and I bought API General Cure for the internal parasites in hopes of it working. I've heard Levamisole works, but I can't find it in stores or online. Any preferences?

I couldn't get any pictures, but I'll try because it's barely noticeable. One of my females (the one with dropsy) had fry a couple days earlier, but none survived. The healthiest one had a weird white spot on it's head. I fed the well ground fish flakes and HikarI First Bites.

Will the API General Cure work for both parasites and dropsy by any chance? The attached is an I found similar to the female fish with the camallanus worms.

Thanks!

Attachments

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No general cure will not treat camallanus worms. You need levamisole. You can find it on Amazon. And your whole tank is infested with them now. Not just the fish you see them on. So its imperative that you treat for it or you'll have an endless cycle of worms.

OP
NewbieAquarist

NewbieAquarist

Reaction score
Thank you, do you by any chance has a link to the product? What is you preference with dropsy as well?

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Heres a link for levamisole. I'm not sure about treating dropsy. I've not experienced that before.

Agrilabs Prohibit Soluble Drench Powder Amazon.com: Agrilabs Prohibit Soluble Drench Powder: Pet Supplies

OP
NewbieAquarist

NewbieAquarist

Reaction score
That seems expensive. . . these supplies cost a small fortune. My female with dropsy died this morning, and I'm confused why she lost all her scales and was white in one night. :( Is there possibly a less expensive form of levamisole?

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
NewbieAquarist said:
That seems expensive. . . these supplies cost a small fortune. My female with dropsy died this morning, and I'm confused why she lost all her scales and was white in one night. :( Is there possibly a less expensive form of levamisole?
unfortunately not. Angelsplus sells the stuff too, but it is spendy there as well.

I know it seems like a lot, but now that you have introduced camallanus worms, you must treat the tank, or else any new fish you add will get them. The mature worms sticking out of your fish were dropping eggs all over your tank. Those eggs will hatch and get eaten and grow to adult worms inside the fish before emerging to drop more eggs. The ones you saw coming out of your fish were likely eaten at the larvae stage and matured into adult worms in the fish. Which may have taken a long time. Which is why 2 months or longer is recommended for a safe QT period. Fish can carry worms like these for a long time before showing any symptoms.

If you do not treat, you will have an endless cycle of worms and fish deaths in your tank. So your only other option honestly....is to euthanize the fish you have and strip down the tank, bleach everything and start from scratch. Which I am sure you don't want to do :-(

Fenbendazole is the only other drug I am aware of that will treat camallanus worms. Though levamisole tends to be more commonly used. I don't know if that is any cheaper though.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news...but sadly, your only options are to spend the money on meds, or kill your fish and start from scratch. (or wait until they die from the worms and then start from scratch, but why make them suffer, you know?)

Believe me, I know how you are feeling. I went through this a couple years ago, and that was even with QTing first. Clearly 6 weeks wasn't long enough QT period. I am sorry you are in this position, but you have to make a decision and make it fast....

New Threads