2 new BPs

1. abc123d30 Well Known Member Member

I just got 2 new Blood Red Parrot Cichlids and they are so small and cute :D
    They're pretty shy but sometimes they come out to the front of the tank and swim.

Check'em out :photo:

Attached Files:

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Cute! Which tank did they go into? :)
    Carol

3. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

oh they are cute! I would love to put some in a tank, just have no idea what tank to use lol

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Me too! They need to be in groups I think and a large tank. My 75 has Discus in it and is the largest tank I have so I guess their out for me :)
    Carol

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Babies! :) Congrats abc!

Ken

6. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

congrats they're cute.

7. James95 Well Known Member Member

They can be kept as singles but prefer to live with other BPs. They need at least a 55 gallon tank as adults.

Congrats on your new babies, ABC!

8. abc123d30 Well Known Member Member

Thanks all :)
    and they went into my 55gallon. I'm hoping to eventually upgrade to a larger tank in the future so by that time they should be pretty big and ready to go in a bigger tank.

9. James95 Well Known Member Member

Bigger is great! I can't see a permanent 55g being an issue. The maximum size for a blood parrot is between 8 and 10 inches, but 6 inches is more likely.

Size also depends on your fish's ancestry. If they have any red devil cichlid genes in them they're bound to get big. If they have any convict cichlid genes they'll stay on the smaller side.

It can be hard to determine the adult size of a hybridized fish. Especially with the mixing of multiple species :)

10. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I love aquarist48 s 265 with his huge BPs :) Just an example of what they can look like :)
    Carol

11. James95 Well Known Member Member

I agree. I'm so jealous of that tank! Most of Ken's BPs look like red devil/Midas/severum mixes. These tend to be the bigger BPs.

12. abc123d30 Well Known Member Member

Yeah I think the bps should be fine in the 55 gallon especially while they are still not full grown. I already planned to eventually get a larger tank (125g or larger) so I figure by that time the Bps will be big enough that they'd be more comfortable in a bigger tank :)

@james95 that's interesting about the size depending on the fish's ancestry, I never knew about that before

13. James95 Well Known Member Member

I too find it interesting. But, with such mish mosh of a gene pool it doesn't come as a surprise. lol