2 Neon Tetras Died

gas_pedal

Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon tank, fully cycled. I acclimated my neon tetras, but within a day 2 died. I had 7, now have 5. Why did they die, and should I get more? I don't really want to but I know they need at least 6 to be happy. Theyre doing fine now, just wondering what I should do. Thanks.

83jase

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What's your current water parameters Inc ph and temp and is this 20gal main or qaurentine tank what else is in the tank? then we can go from there

From what I've learnt so far neon are very touchy amongst first to show problems first hand correct me if I'm wrong please anyone I don't want to be giving out wrong advice

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I love my beautiful little neons but they really don't seem to be very healthy. They are the only species in my tank that don't last long. I just keep building their schools back up when I lose one or two. Right now I have 7. A couple of months ago I had 9. Over the past 2 1/2 years I have had this tank set up I have lost at least 8 of them.

Even with a perfect acclimation it doesn't seem to be unusual to lose some of them pretty quickly.

gas_pedal

Reaction score
mattgirl said:
I love my beautiful little neons but they really don't seem to be very healthy. They are the only species in my tank that don't last long. I just keep building their schools back up when I lose one or two. Right now I have 7. A couple of months ago I had 9. Over the past 2 1/2 years I have had this tank set up I have lost at least 8 of them.

Even with a perfect acclimation it doesn't seem to be unusual to lose some of them pretty quickly.
That sucks. Maybe I'll just switch to guppies

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IME it seems they don't always aclimate well. Once they are adjusted, they usually do fine. I lost one in the beginning but the others have hung in for a number of months now.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Goldiemom said:
IME it seems they don't always aclimate well. Once they are adjusted, they usually do fine. I lost one in the beginning but the others have hung in for a number of months now.
When I think back on it I am thinking the ones that did survive after the acclimation lived for at least a year but probably longer than that.

I know my sister was amazed at the size of my original ones. They seemed to be very healthy. Sadly though I did start losing them one by one after about a year or so. They were very healthy, never showed any sign that anything was wrong with them but one day they would just die. Even though I don't get to keep them as long as I would like I will still always have neon in my tank.

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I thought they only live for about 2 years but then I read yesterday that they can live up to 10 years. Anyone had any that long?

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Goldiemom said:
I thought they only live for about 2 years but then I read yesterday that they can live up to 10 years. Anyone had any that long?
I really wish mine would live that long. Maybe the long lived ones aren't the over bred ones available to us. Hopefully if anyone has been able to keep them alive that long will stop by and tell us their secret.

I know I keep mine at their optimal temps, feed them a variety of good food, they have no tank mates that would cause them stress, keep their home pristine and still lose them a lot sooner than I should.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom