2 Month Cycled 20g Tank Is Foggy! Why?

Discussion in 'Cloudy Aquarium Water' started by keeperofmanyponds, Apr 10, 2018.

1. keeperofmanyponds

keeperofmanyponds Valued Member Member

20 gallon long

Using a lamp to light the pics since I dont want to turn light back on

I have cycled this tank with a betta sorority of 6 a while back, February 8th to be exact, I moved all betta fish out, they are still healthy. Placed in 6 red eyes for a night and moved them and when I had an algae bloom I placed 6 rosy barbs to eat algae for another night and moved them outside the next morning. All 12 fish are still healthy. I change the water every week. The tank sat empty for many weeks with only a couple shrimp. Water was clear but had some algae on surfaces (caused by sea chem flourish, I stopped adding it before adding new fish) Tank is planted with java moss, java fern, anubias, and amazon sword, all plants are doing fine. Water was clear until I slowly added 6 tiger barbs, 3 every week, then added 6 ottos, 3 every week. Now water is extremely cloudy. Fish are healthy, swimming around happily. 12 fish total with a few pond snails.

All ottos are rounded and pooping normal

40% water changes every Saturday, thorough vac to get rid of poo
    I have 2 filters with 20 gallon filter capacity
    marine-land penguin 150 with biowheel and aquaneat 20 gallon airhead bubblier oxygenation filter (best filter ever for me)
    Water parameters are perfect
    Has been cycled a long time ago and went foggy for a week then cleared up
    Fog has a green hue, and also milky like bacteria
    Fog has been around for 3 weeks

Please tell me if this is green water algae possibly? If it is, do you think the ottos would benefit from it? I see videos where ottos are found and they can live in greenwater:

Attached Files:

2. Initiate

Initiate Well Known Member Member

Hi,
    I used to have the same problem, I'm not sure how I fixed it but is your water only clouding after water changes or all the time?

3. OP
    OP
    keeperofmanyponds

It is all the time, it clears very slightly after water change, but gets real cloudy right after. Even my ponds cleared after 2 days and the bottom of them is sandy garden top soil!

4. Initiate

I would stop doing the water changes for two to three weeks to see if the water clears up. This happened to me the water changes triggered a bacterial bloom until I added more fish.

5. OP
    OP
    keeperofmanyponds

Wooow 3 weeks, I will have to get past my OCD lol. I am going on vacation on the 26th of April until may 5th (9 days without a change) and having the caretaker feed only 2 pellets and a glob of algae (when it grows in the culture bin already arggh). The otos are pooping so they must be eating something, they dont eat my pellets, only the barbs do. I hate this fog because it inhibits light for algae growth! My poor otos could starve. I feed my fish every other day (small pellets) to limit waste.

6. Initiate

Is there algae in the aquarium, read the resource attached to my comments

7. OP
    OP
    keeperofmanyponds

This is killer helpful! My otos have round bellies and I have been grabbing algae from my betta tanks to feed them, I have a large plastic bin outside to grow algae but it's being stubborn since its been cloudy outside everyday. I just put in some more sea chem fert using proper dosing. Tank is very planted, the otos love my anubias. I have driftwood in one of my betta tanks and the driftwood has a (mold) like substance that is harmless and is eating the wood. I thought of adding it to this oto tank instead, good idea? I do these extreme 40% water changes because I'm trying to maintain very clean water for the otos and added 2 filter systems to ensure that. Since you are an oto expert, I feel like I hit the jackpot. 4 of my 6 otos are super active but all 6 have rounded bellies and seem healthy, why is that? I get OCD worried about that.

8. OP
    OP
    keeperofmanyponds

I had lots of algae in the otto tank until the fog started! :(

9. OP
    OP
    keeperofmanyponds

Should I do a 24 hour lighting to promote algae? The evil fog has made lighting so poor that algae growth has diminished.

10. dfish

dfish New Member Member

Yes, I had the same thing. Too much water changes and bacteria haven't established. 40% is way too much. Also try adding Tera Safestart to add bacteria.
    Lastely check the amount of biofiltration. How much of it do you have in your filter? A lot of people have too little of it.

11. OP
    OP
    keeperofmanyponds

Awe bummer, how much water change should I do for the 12 fish (6 otos and 6 tiger barbs)? I have the Marineland penguin 150 bio wheel filter (crazy water surface agitation) and an aquaneat 20 gal capacity filter with lots of bubbles (awesome aeration for the whole tank!) I do need to get a hand made bio sack to add to the marine lands's huge canister space!!! I will probably throw some rooted bamboo plants in there soon too!! Awesome filter though, it can always be tweaked.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078MWDSC...t=&hvlocphy=9011502&hvtargid=pla-419003008938

My tank water is 2 months old (excluding weekly water changes) and went through a nitrogen (fog) cycle once already back in February. So it has to be fully cycled. Unless it stubbornly wants to cycle again?

12. OP
    OP
    keeperofmanyponds

Once this tank settles and calms down and my algae culture outside starts to boom, and I get back from vacation, should I consider adding more oto cats? Like have 12 oto cats total with the 6 tigers?

13. Initiate

I have four ottos I had six but lost two in quarantine, I would get heaps more but in Australia they cost $15 - $20. It depends on the amount of algae you can provide to get more ottos. Otos will become more active as they get used to the tank, they may also be hiding a bit because their tank mates are semi-aggressive I wouldn't worry though ottos aren't defenceless and can hold their own.

14. OP
    OP
    keeperofmanyponds

Hello, I have an update with bad news and good news, bad news is I had an outbreak of ich in my tank so I cranked the temp to 87 degrees. The tigers were hit the hardest and they just surround the heater and the ottos do not show any signs of the disease. 3 of the 6 ottos seemed skinny yesterday, so today I found a solution, I placed some amazon frogbit in my tank and after that all 6 ottos fattened up and are running around again so that is the good news. My algae culture is only a biofilm right now, there is no green yet. I learned about ottos and aufwuchs today which had me excited. The ich is from the petstore, I saw ich on the fish there. All fish seem to be doing a little better today. Fingers crossed.

15. dfish

dfish New Member Member

This is why I never ever add new fish to my tank. They bring diseases to your tank (even if they are healthy looking they can still add sickness by hidden diseases). I got a beautiful tank with zebra fish and neon tetra's and I leave it at that. I don't want them to get sick.

16. OP
    OP
    keeperofmanyponds

I have moved all barbs to my heated pond. Cleaned the tank and have only the ottos in there. As soon as the barbs were taken out. The ottos have been hella active. I will be moving one of my pieceful male bettas in there.

17. OP
    OP
    keeperofmanyponds

Stress is a huge issue with fish and illness I have noticed. Seems like the ottos have really perked up since moving the barbs outside. the ottos here are tougher than the barbs in the first place. I just hope the barbs will do better since I moved them to a pond, we will see. My guppies always do better in a pond. I had to move the guppies out of the pond to a bigger pond to make room for the barbs. Of course there are remaining guppies ugh. Species only situations seem easier to maintain. I placed one dumbo betta with the ottos. He seemed kinda raggy so I had to move him. He was in a divided 10 gallon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice