2 Mollys gone Any thoughts?

Bully4Me

Reaction score
Thanks so much for any input.
-bought 3 balloon mollys about 3 weeks ago.  a black, a silver and a gold.  The silver started last week looking as though it were dying.  on its side, by the surface, gasping.  we waited him out a bit, when food got added, he swam away which surprised us, that he could swim.  So we watched him.  He remained largely unchanged for about 5 days, although he started to be able to swim a bit more, though never upright, always on his side, or tipping, like a person with vertigo.  Our store guy said to leave him, it was likely bloat and should improve on its own after a few more days.  He started to get better the last two days, actually upright a small amojnt of the time before he tipped, then, this morning took a dramatic turn for the worse, up at the top, floating on his side, shallow breaths.  By nightime, he was gone. 
During all this, the other fish in the tank seemed ok, and the other two mollys seemed to spend time near him.  Suddenly, tonight, the silver was gone by 6'ish, by 10pm the gold was dead on the bottom of the tank, not the top like the silver.  I panicked, thinking it was ammonia - did two tests got nothing.  The only slight issue is that the nitrates are in the upper end of the safe range on my strip test, and the water is slightly hard.
Other details: 65gal / 78' / added 4 fish 5 days ago / I notice a problem with green algae on our rocks and glass / 25% water changes weekly / water tested every 3 days using strip.
Residents: 2 clawed albino frogs, 2 dwarf frogs, 2 common plecos, 1 Banjo cat/ 3 chinese algae eaters/4 id sharks/ 1 red tailed rainbow/ 2 koi angels/1 Dojo / 1 ghost knife/ 3 black tetras and 1 black molly : all fish are less than 3", the sharks and the angels are largest at 3.5" maybe.  The red tailed is next. 
I don't see anything obvious on the last molly, it seems fairly normal, although my wife and I are absolute novices.
Thanks again for any thoughts, we had it crash once, and it's really hard on us both.  I don't want to lose everyone again, maybe I'm overreacting? 

UPDATE:Today we lost a female dwarf gourami. She looked bloated, just below the gills, like a balloon was insider her in the shape of a human heart. Not the whole fish, just below the gills only.
All water tests are normal...

sasha

Valued Member
Reaction score
it sounds like there could be some sort of internal bacterial infection going on although i cant be 100% sure you could start treating for internal bacteria and see if this helps any keep us posted...good luck

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You shouldn't put Clawed Frogs with fish. They usually eat fish. Red Tailed Sharks are pretty territorial....

Bully4Me

Reaction score
thanks for responding!
I'll ask my store about how to treat an internal bacterial infection. Today we lost one of my favorites, our ghost knife.
As far as the other things, we now know that they should not have sold us the clawed frogs. They are growing, and will soon need their own tank I fear. Is there a possibility that they won't eat the dwarf frogs if they have grown up together?
Also, the red tail is a rainbow, not a shark. Does that make a difference? He does seem a bit pushy.

thanks again!

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Rainbow Sharks can be just as territorial as Redtails, so you may want to get him his own tank.. and Ghost Knifes are extremely sensitive fish, so tankmates should be carefully chosen, and tank substrate should be sand or nothing at all.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom