2 males or 1 m/1 fem Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami? Question

Discussion in 'Gouramis' started by rlanghans, Mar 27, 2010.

1. rlanghans

rlanghans New Member Member

I have a 30 gallon with..
    6 Bandit Corys
    10 Neon Tetras
    4 Platies
    1 Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami

I wanted to get 1 more DG, to keep the 1 male company since all the others have friends. The Tank has been up for awhile and everyone's getting along great!
    I don't want to disrupt the harmony but I'd really like to get him a girlfriend or brother.

Should i get a male or female????

The male i have now runs the place but isn't aggressive.
    Im not 2 worried about breeding and if they don't get along I can move 1.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!:;banaman

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Males will most likely fight. You could try and get a female or two, but they are very hard to find.

3. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

in a 30g tank, I think even the fems will fight.....gouramis are allot like bettas where they dont need others of their own to be happy

4. Alcmiller

Alcmiller Valued Member Member

If you were to go with a second DG, go with a female. Like Jaysee said, the males will probably bicker amongst themselves a bit.

5. OP
    OP
    rlanghans

rlanghans New Member Member

Yeah, im def going with a female! Although i hope it all goes well, like Shawnie said he may be happier on his own like a betta. I'll keep a close eye and if there is any trouble i'll just separate them. He seems pretty peaceful though.

I've tried to put my betta in the community before and he just terrorized everyone, chasing nipping. The gourami just isn't anywhere near that much of a bully. He shares his food and only gets upset when someone won't move out of his way, so i hope he keeps his manners with a lady around.

Thanks for all the ideas, ill let you know how it goes after i pick her up next weekend.

Any more ideas, comments or concerns, Please keepem coming!

Thanks again!:;banaman

You guys rock!! :;drum:;rocker

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice