2 males, 1 tank: is rehoming the only option?

Kitty0525

My son has a 125gal tank. It's current inhabitants are 2 angels, 5 black skirt tetras, 2 gold barbs (survivors), a tiger barb (survivor), 2 upside down cats, a bristlenose pleco, 3 nerite snails, and 2 dwarf gouramis (both assumed male due to bright color). Not planted but well decorated with lots of silk plants and hiding places, but could use more tall plants. Not averse to real plants, but not wishing to upkeep CO2, ferts and such.

Back in February kiddo fell in love with 2 DGs: a powder blue he named Bologna and a neon blue he named Salami. LFS usually has great advice; they said considering the size and stocking of our tank plus the DGs being young and already tank mates should be fine together. Each DG has 'his' side of the tank with minimal issues, just occasional brief chasing at feeding time. Everything was fine until about a month ago, when Bologna started chasing Salami more. Salami now mostly hides and it looks like his tail was nipped (which our barbs don't do even though it's typical of barbs.) Bologna doesn't have beef with anyone else in the tank, even at feeding time or if they get into his favorite spots. But if he sees Salami the chase is on. Salami doesn't return the aggression. The internet basically says the options are rehoming, more plants/breaks in sight lines or adding 2+ females per male. The tank could handle 4 more fish, but I hate to throw living things at a problem if it isn't a viable fix. I'll add more tall plants either way. Are these solutions worth trying or would it simply be prolonging the stress on a bullied fish? Kiddo would be heartbroken to have to rehome either of his deli meats so I guess I'm just hoping there's another way. Any advice welcome.

SouthAmericanCichlids

A pic would help, if there is lots of cover, you could probably get away with it, I mean 125g is pretty big for such small fish. But monitor them closely.

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

Hi and welcome to fishlore.
The tank size gives you a chance of this working out, but that being said if you think he is being bullied too much then rehoming is the best option. Of course "rehoming" could mean a couple of things such as a shiny new 15-20 gallon deli... counter.
I can see the logic behind the lfs advice but another way to look at it is: They were young and had not yet hit sexual maturity.
I wouldn't add multiple females(more Dwarfs) to the situation, I don't find domestic to be social and giving them a potential breeding partner could be detrimental to the other tankmates.
I'll link my article on what I really think of Dwarf Gourami, if you would like to read it.
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...hts-on-dwarf-gourami-trichogaster-lalius.194/

Upvote 0

Kitty0525

Hi and welcome to fishlore.
The tank size gives you a chance of this working out, but that being said if you think he is being bullied too much then rehoming is the best option. Of course "rehoming" could mean a couple of things such as a shiny new 15-20 gallon deli... counter.
I can see the logic behind the lfs advice but another way to look at it is: They were young and had not yet hit sexual maturity.
I wouldn't add multiple females(more Dwarfs) to the situation, I don't find domestic to be social and giving them a potential breeding partner could be detrimental to the other tankmates.
I'll link my article on what I really think of Dwarf Gourami, if you would like to read it.
My thoughts on Dwarf Gourami/Trichogaster Lalius

Thanks! Your article is actually a big reason I'm so hesitant to get more DG. Had I known so much before kiddo got his heart set on his two I would've steered him in a different direction. Unfortunately the deli meats were probably the least informed pet purchase we've made and I feel absolutely terrible about it now. We did add some more tall things and rearranged the tank decor. Salami isn't hiding anymore and Bologna hasn't bothered him. I'm hoping that'll do the trick but if it doesn't, we have a 10gal that gets used as a quarantine tank, a 20gal that needs repair, and a currently running 40gal that has a baby turtle in it. As ridiculous as it sounds it hadn't even crossed my mind to just set up another tank!
A pic would help, if there is lots of cover, you could probably get away with it, I mean 125g is pretty big for such small fish. But monitor them closely.

I can't find any pictures (and I didn't think to take one) where you can see the whole tank before we rearranged things and added the tall plants in the middle of the tank. So far it has helped: Salami isn't hiding anymore and Bologna hasn't gone after him at all. I'm definitely keeping a close eye on them. Thank you for the hope!

Attachments

• 20210702_100150.jpg
    20210702_100150.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ProudPapa
  • Question
Replies
Views