2 Male mollies always chasing eachother

• Thread starter Jennbug
  • Start date

Jennbug

I have a ten gallon tank with 2 male panda mollies and a female betta. They have all been together 2 months and there are no problems with the betta and mollies but the 2 mollies are CONSTANTLY chasing each other. I assume they are brothers if that makes a difference, as i got them together from petco. At first it seemed to be about food, the dominate of the two doesn't like the other one eating. That seems to have calmed a bit but literally ALL they do is chase each other around all over the tank and try to (nip?) each others analfins but there are no physical injuries. I do not think they actually hurt one another.

I had a female molly in there at one point and that did not change their behavior in the slightest, in fact they ignored her completely.
I would also like to add i initially had 3 panda mollies, i asked for 3 females. Ended up with 3 males, one died the next day. Only after this behavior started happening did i add 1 female, which i know is not the right ratio but i wanted them to calm down and that still didn't happen. She died of ich a week after i got her and i treated the whole tank just in case, that was a month ago.
I have read that they go after each others analfins as a way of trying to impress a female, but i assure you they want nothing to do with my female betta from how they all act.

Sometimes these fish get a long and act like they are in love but most of the time it is chasing eachother around. Is this normal? Are they playing hide and seek? Any ideas?

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Jennbug said:
I have a ten gallon tank with 2 male panda mollies and a female betta. They have all been together 2 months and there are no problems with the betta and mollies but the 2 mollies are CONSTANTLY chasing each other. I assume they are brothers if that makes a difference, as i got them together from petco. At first it seemed to be about food, the dominate of the two doesn't like the other one eating. That seems to have calmed a bit but literally ALL they do is chase each other around all over the tank and try to (nip?) each others analfins but there are no physical injuries. I do not think they actually hurt one another.

I had a female molly in there at one point and that did not change their behavior in the slightest, in fact they ignored her completely.
I would also like to add i initially had 3 panda mollies, i asked for 3 females. Ended up with 3 males, one died the next day. Only after this behavior started happening did i add 1 female, which i know is not the right ratio but i wanted them to calm down and that still didn't happen. She died of ich a week after i got her and i treated the whole tank just in case, that was a month ago.
I have read that they go after each others analfins as a way of trying to impress a female, but i assure you they want nothing to do with my female betta from how they all act.

Sometimes these fish get a long and act like they are in love but most of the time it is chasing eachother around. Is this normal? Are they playing hide and seek? Any ideas?
It could be fighting over territory or females that they think might be around. I would get more females(preferably 2 for each male) and see if that helps.

Fae

Acorn has good advice. I'd just like to add, that I have a male Molly in a hospital tank right now, and literally all he does is swim back and forth furiously and with great intention, like it's very important. I have no idea why, but my point is that they likely won't change their behaviour. He's the same when in the main tank, except he furiously chases the female molly with his anal "fin" extended towards her... Constantly. Yep. Simple minds hilarious

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Fae said:
Acorn has good advice. I'd just like to add, that I have a male Molly in a hospital tank right now, and literally all he does is swim back and forth furiously and with great intention, like it's very important. I have no idea why, but my point is that they likely won't change their behaviour. He's the same when in the main tank, except he furiously chases the female molly with his anal "fin" extended towards her... Constantly. Yep. Simple minds hilarious
Thank you, thank you! I already know. You can just call me King Acorn hilarious

smee82

1st things 1st What size is your tank. The smaller the tank the more aggresive mollies are

Mazeus

Well Known
As your tank is a 10g, that really is not big enough for Mollies (sorry!). Any chance of upgrading the tank size so that they have more space (more space should reduce the aggression) or return the mollies and get more suitable fish for the 10g? Betta is fine for that size.

Top Bottom