2 Kissing Fish on Bottom?

1. Bulawitch Initiate Member

I am relatively new to this hobby. (7 Months). I have 2 tanks. In my 55 gallon tank I have 2 kissing fish, 2 golden gourami, 2 swordtails, 2 silver dollars and angel fish. All the numbers are good. Zero nitrates and ammonia, 20 nitrates, 7.6 ph. For the last 2 days my larger kissing fish has been laying o the bottom. Yesterday he would get up to eat, but not today and now today the smaller kissing fish is also laying on the bottom. Did a partial water change the day before I noticed him laying on the bottom. Everyone else seems to be swimming around fine. I do not see and spots on them, so I do not think it is ick. The golden gouramis were just introduced 5 or 6 days ago. Any ideas on what is wrong?

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Have you seen any chasing or other signs of aggression? You've got quite the mix of territorial fish in there!

And the silver dollars will not only get to be about the size of your hand, they also should be in a group of at least 6.

3. Bulawitch Initiate Member

Agressive Gourami

The only fish that has shown any aggression is the bigger kissing gourami. Especially when it is feeding time, he chases the smaller gourami and the sword tails. I have never seen them chase back though. He (the one that is hanging on the bottom) is the biggest fish in the tank. What confuses me most is that the smaller gourami is now on the bottom too. Since all the other fish seem fine, I thought maybe it was some kind of gourami disease or something

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

5. Skyy2112 Member Member

Ich can also present as a film over the eyes, or rot.

If they will, handfeeding may be a good idea to keep them fed.

6. slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

They are stressing each other out. Kissers should be kept as solos or in groups never as a pair.

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

And in a much larger tank. I'd rehome both of them.