55 Gallon Tank 2 Half banded spiny eels

Haydeno

I have a 55 gallon community with mainly smaller fish like 6 German rams and now 2 half banded spiny eels. All I want to know is if anyone has kept 2 half banded spiny eels together and how it worked out. It’s a hard species to find information on and most information is general to spiny eels and not the species but one place said they’re fairly social and can be kept in groups and everywhere else said just have plenty of space and hiding places. One eel is new and tiny and the other I’ve had for a few months and is now a 5-6 inch Goliath of a half banded spiny eel lol.

Batmantheanglefish

Wow, I’m shocked you got it to eat! Mine died a few years ago because he wouldn’t eat at all. I haven’t kept 2 together though but I would imagine it would be ok as I had 2 peacock eels together for a LONG time and they got along. It was a larger tank tho. I’m not gonna say for sure though as different species have different tolerance of their own kind.

Upvote 0

Haydeno

Yeah I read that they can be very finicky when being put into a new tank and that’s when most die because they’ll hide and not eat for a week or so on end but my first one came out and chowed down on frozen blood worms literally the next day lol. It’s been doing great since then. My 2nd one is doing relatively good for being in the tank only a few hours too. It’ll choose a spot and hide for a bit before eventually moving to another suitable hiding spot and has done this 4 or 5 times. I personally think it’ll be fine since they only get around 8 inches max and they have a 4 foot tank with lots of hiding spots and live plants. I just wanted to see if anyone’s done it lol. I’ll keep updating as I watch them.

Upvote 0

Batmantheanglefish

your lucky! They should be fine with a tank that size for sure. Plenty of room to hide. For sure update!

Upvote 0

Haydeno

Night 2 update. My larger eel finally noticed the new one and watched it a bit before chases it into hiding. I noticed it do this a few times tonight. I’m wondering if this is a dominance display or if he’s hunting it. The larger eel has been very active tonight and has been moving a bit faster than his normal pace so I’m wondering if that is hunting behavior since they’re nocturnal predators. I’m not going to give up yet. Gonna try more bushy plants or a new cave and monitor them to see if the aggression lowers as dominance is established. Also funny side note. My female German blue ram that’s midsized found a place she liked and when my larger eel came around she would peck at him and fake charge him and he just didn’t care lol. It was like a kitten playing with a large dog lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0

Batmantheanglefish

Ya I agree that adding more hiding spots, caves and plants will help so they have more territory to claim and won’t see each other as often. Hopefully that will sort out the issue!

Upvote 0

Haydeno

i think I’m going the cave route as I saw a decoration at my lfs that I really like. I’m not big on decorations but this was a nice sized cave with a log on top for them to go through. Perfect for an eel. I’ll just take out the plastic plants and put real ones in it lol. I’ll keep watching and update later on.

Upvote 0

Batmantheanglefish

That sounds good. Hopefully all is well so far! Good luck with the eels they are fun to have!

Upvote 0

Haydeno

Day 3 update. My bigger eel is still chasing him but I’ve found information! On Instagram there’s like 2 or 3 people who keep more than one. One person keeps what I think is a pair and the other person keeps 5 or 6 in a 90 gallon and managed to breed them once! They both told me I needed more caves or bushy plants than I have now so I’m going to be doing that as soon as possible. Another great update is that the small eel finally ate! He hasn’t accepted frozen brine shrimp like my bigger eel does but blood worms are still tasty to him.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0

Batmantheanglefish

That’s great you got him to eat! I agree with the more plants/caves as they are territorial. Tank looks nice tho!

Upvote 0

Haydeno

Still going great with both eel. The smaller ones getting more and more active and eating more now too. The bigger one is leaving the it alone more now too. She’ll even try to socialize with it but it’s just too scared still

Upvote 0

Batmantheanglefish

That’s good though that it’s not bothering it! Eventually it should be less scared. I’ve heard they are more active at night also. Hopefully everything will keep progressing the way it is! :)

Upvote 0

Haydeno

Honestly I’ve seen mixed results on their activity at night. I mainly see my big girl during the day and the smaller one at night but they both seemingly just come out when they feel like it really. And my aquarium is in my bedroom so I’ll normally see it at whatever point in the day I feel like it. If I got lucky and got a male and female I’ll make a thread in the future on my attempts to get them to breed lol. Wish me luck on that

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 19
Upvote 0

Batmantheanglefish

Yes that would be cool! If I didn’t have angels in my 75 gallon I would definitely get an eel! They are cool fish and have unique personalities. I hope all continues to go good with the eels!!
Edit: I just noticed the pics. Looks nice and healthy from what I can tell. I like the Gourami also!

Upvote 0

Haydeno

I didn’t even notice the gourami in the picture lol but thank you. There’s not many restrictions on what you can keep with these eels tbh. I keep 3 Dwarf gouramis, 6 German rams, 10 otocinclus and of course the 2 eels. As long as it’s not big enough to eat the eel, aggressive or small enough for the eel to eat. And it has to be tiny tiny for the eel to bother it. I have otocinclus that we’re barely an inch with them and they’ve never been bothered. The only thing she’s ever bothered are small shrimp.

Upvote 0

Batmantheanglefish

Oh, I might have to find one that matches my tanks temp and parameters! That would be cool to have one. I’m definitely going to look into it. Yours look really nice!

Upvote 0

Haydeno

Depending on the size of your tank and temperament of your angels, I’d recommend looking into the half banded spiny eels (information can be hard to come by for them) or peacock eels which are probably the most common aquarium eels and maintain a relatively reasonable size (still about a foot long). For you I’d probably go with the peacock eel. I know a foot long sounds huge but 75 gallons is actually probably big enough for 2 or 3 adults and most don’t get that big in an aquarium. Just a few quick warning for eels though. Again make sure you don’t have any fish under about an inch or they’ll probably get picked off at night. I’d say sand is a must for them. They like to burrow, dig in the sand and most of their time is spent slithering across the substrate so rocks could easily cut them. Eels can be very finicky when being added to an aquarium and can hide for long periods of time and not eat. It took me two or three days to get my second one to eat. If any die because you can’t get it to eat, don’t get discouraged. Do more research, think about adjustments you can make for them to be more comfortable and try again when you think the tank is good enough. They only eat live or frozen food too. The only one that tried freeze dried stuff spit it out, looked at me funny then hid from me . Lastly, get a lid. I’ve never noticed mine try to escape but you can find plenty of stories of that happening.

Upvote 0

Batmantheanglefish

Ok, thanks for the tips! I will probably try the peacock eel. My angels are pretty chill tbh. They tolerate my rams,Discus, and Pictus cat. Thanks for the info! I’m going to my lfs today so I will pick one up along with the food.

Upvote 0

Haydeno

No problem. Freshwater eels have such a great, unique personality so it’s a shame more people don’t keep them. As always make sure you’ve done lots of research and ask me for anything and I’ll do my best to help.

Upvote 0

Batmantheanglefish

Ok, thanks! I’ve decided on the peacock eel for sure and I’m going to get 2 so they won’t be so shy. I had peacock eels before but I couldn’t get them to eat. Hopefully this time will go better! Thanks for the help again.

Upvote 0

MomOfLiveBearers

I have a 55 gallon community with mainly smaller fish like 6 German rams and now 2 half banded spiny eels. All I want to know is if anyone has kept 2 half banded spiny eels together and how it worked out. It’s a hard species to find information on and most information is general to spiny eels and not the species but one place said they’re fairly social and can be kept in groups and everywhere else said just have plenty of space and hiding places. One eel is new and tiny and the other I’ve had for a few months and is now a 5-6 inch Goliath of a half banded spiny eel lol.
Yes you can. Half banded eels are fairly sociable and not real aggressive. I'd take caution if pairing them with one of the larger spiny eels as they can be more territorial and get much bigger.

Upvote 0

Haydeno

Thank you. I talked to a someone who managed to breed half banded spiny eels so I got an abundance of great information. I guess my larger eel was just asserting dominance at first and that’s why she was chasing it. She leaves it alone now.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
Haydeno
Replies
Views
Jonathan97