2 Gallon Shrimp Bowl

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Culprit, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

I've really been wanting a RCS bowl for a while now... I want to plant it and all. Would this tank work?  

If I did, would it be fine without a heater and without a light? I have a south facing dorm window I can put it in that I grow succulents on just fine, would that grow low light plants without a problem? If so, what plants would work? Mabye some anubias var petite or S. Repens?

What substrate would I use? Would sand work, or should I do a Walstad type tank, with soil capped with sand?

2. RyleighJ

RyleighJ Valued Member Member

I just set up a planted tank using substrate specifically meant for plants, and I love it. The one I got is called CaribSea Eco Complete Planted Tank Substrate (  ). I got it from Petco, but I imagine they carry it elsewhere. I'm not sure if they make it in anything less than 20lb bags, though.

If this substrate is compatible with RCS (I've never had them before, so I don't know what kind of bottom they need) I would definitely recommend it!

Here's a pic of what it looks like in my aquarium

990ae7efc22fc01c283b5bd8a3be767a.jpg

3. OP
    OP
    Culprit

Lol thanks! I do know what eco-complete and flourite and ada amazon aquasoil and stuff is. I have most of them! I just really like the sand so was wondering if I didn't have to put down any of those first. With low light plants though prob not.

Do I need a heater or light? My room ranges from 68 at night to 78. Thats between winter and summer. In the winter it stays about 68 and the summer about 78.

4. OP
    OP
    Culprit

Do I need a heater or a light? I'm thinking if I got a clamp work light that would way too much lighting on such a small tank and I would have problems... and dosing Co2 on such a small tank would be super hard.

5. allnaturalallen29

allnaturalallen29 Valued Member Member

You might need a small heater and a clip on light would be fine but don't use co2 in shrimp tanks

6. OP
    OP
    Culprit

So I don't need a filter if I do a walstad? How big of a heater, like what wattage? 25 watt?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice