2 Fish died already... 20 Gallon Tank

1. internet13 Initiate Member

I got 6 cardinal tetras from LFS and 2 of them already died (1 on my way home, 1 while acclimated ) I have 4 left over in my tank along with 5 zebra danios. The LFS is very reputable and i dont think it was because of sickness cause they looked fine in the LFS tank. So any tips to keep them alive?

2. ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

Your setup appears to only be 8 days old. Is your tank fully cycled? Cardinals are rather hardy for tetra. It's tough to say with the limited information. Good luck. Keep up frequent water changes and dose with prime every 48 hours if the tank is not cycled yet.

3. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

So sorry to hear that the new Cardinal tetras are killing over. Can you take the dead fish back to the store with a water sample? Ask to speak to the manager and find out where the fish came from and if they have been having any trouble with them in the tanks or if other customers have had issues.

Generally, asking these questions from the start and getting clear information will help you to understand what is going on.

This has happened to me many times with neon tetras and oto cats, and it has a lot to do with how they are supplied to the LF S in our region. My experience may not be pertinent to what is happening with your Cardinal Tetras.

if you have not yet been able to, test your water yourself before you go back to the store, but they will often also want a sample to doublecheck for themselves even when the fish die in a bag of the store water.

4. internet13 Initiate Member

Well, it's fully cycled. I have used all of the same gravel, filter, and decor from my old 2 year old 10 gallon. I'm sure that's not the problem. And they don't receive refunds. So that's out of the question. Now I just have to wait

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

Perhaps just bad stock then??? I hope you don't lose anymore. Good luck!

6. internet13 Initiate Member

UPDATE: The cardinals look great, Extremely happy and swimming around,The colors are awesome too. The only problem is that one of them has a white bump on right in front of the dorsal fin. There are no white bumps any where else. Im still wondering if its ick or not so i can start treating

7. claireputput Well Known Member Member

If it doesn't look like a salt grain it is possible it is either fungal or bacterial. Keep a close eye on it and if it doesn't look to clear up, qt and medicate.

8. internet13 Initiate Member

[​IMG]

This is it, i made a circle around it and an arrow pointing to it