2 fish dead

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by plecziah, Jul 16, 2015.

1. p

plecziah Valued Member Member

Hey guys i have had zebra danios for about 5 months, when i first got them they were darting around happy as larry.
    recently 2x fish have died in 3 days ive asked around and people suggested constipation i tried the whole not feed for 3 days and then feed peas but it hasnt work. The fish stop moving around much become very lathargic, stop eatting any food and become like little skeleton fish :(
    Im concerned their may be some kind of parasite in my tank and ive looked up all the symptoms but im still very unsure what i should do. Ive checked all my water parameters a few times they are
    Ammonia - 0.25
    Nitrate - 0.5
    Nitrite - 0
    ph - 6.4
    Help i dont want to lose any more fish

2. babynemo

babynemo Valued Member Member

Size of tank?
    Ammonia is extremely dangerous to fish.

3. OP
    OP
    p

Yes i understand that just before they died i had checked the parameters and it was between 0.0-0.25, would ammonia this low kill my fish? tank is 21gal

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yes it's possible. Your beneficial bacteria may be starting to die off as a result of the low pH also...

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    p

How do i go about upping my PH i have heard that the PH up kits can wreak havoc on the tank?

6. babynemo

babynemo Valued Member Member

I would do at least a 50% water change. Ammonia showing up can mean a number of things.
    How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish? Are there plants?

7. Dom90

Do you have a kit to test KH? Your pH dropping could be as a result of low KH.

8. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, it does sound like ammonia poisoning. Any ammonia in the tank at all can be stressful and/or deadly to the fish. I would do a water change (like the above poster said). What test kit are you using?

9. OP
    OP
    p

nope only have the standard freshwater kit. And i have 10 danios zebra and leopard and 2x BN plecos (the plecos are acting the same as usual). And yeah ill do a big water change today

10. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

What is the pH coming out of your tap water? And what is your water change schedule? Sorry if you mentioned already, I didn't read the whole thread yet.

11. OP
    OP
    p

Ahhh havnt checked the PH coming out of the tap :O ill do that now, and um i do water changes weekly unless im concerned about a fish then it will be more regular

12. LiterallyHydro

Okay. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't a lack of maintenance that caused the water to use up your buffer and lower the pH over time. That would be a tank that has fallen victim to old tank syndrome.

13. Dom90

You also need to test your KH, a low KH won't be able to hold your pH stable enough.

14. OP
    OP
    p

Ok i will need to buy a test kit for KH then :)

15. LiterallyHydro

If your kH is a bit low, you can raise it with a media bag filled with crushed coral in your filter. Also, driftwood and peat moss soften the water so if you have an excess of either, they could be removed.

16. Dom90

Yes driftwood and peat lower the pH so if your pH is too low, those should be removed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice