2 fish dead

plecziah

Reaction score
Hey guys I have had zebra danios for about 5 months, when I first got them they were darting around happy as larry.
recently 2x fish have died in 3 days ive asked around and people suggested constipation I tried the whole not feed for 3 days and then feed peas but it hasnt work. The fish stop moving around much become very lathargic, stop eatting any food and become like little skeleton fish
I'm concerned their may be some kind of parasite in my tank and ive looked up all the symptoms but I'm still very unsure what I should do. Ive checked all my water parameters a few times they are
Ammonia - 0.25
Nitrate - 0.5
Nitrite - 0
ph - 6.4
Help I don't want to lose any more fish

OP
P

plecziah

Reaction score
Yes I understand that just before they died I had checked the parameters and it was between 0.0-0.25, would ammonia this low kill my fish? tank is 21gal

OP
P

plecziah

Reaction score
Dom90 said:
Yes it's possible. Your beneficial bacteria may be starting to die off as a result of the low pH also...
How do I go about upping my PH I have heard that the PH up kits can wreak havoc on the tank?

babynemo

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
plecziah said:
Yes I understand that just before they died I had checked the parameters and it was between 0.0-0.25, would ammonia this low kill my fish? tank is 21gal
I would do at least a 50% water change. Ammonia showing up can mean a number of things.
How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish? Are there plants?

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
plecziah said:
How do I go about upping my PH I have heard that the PH up kits can wreak havoc on the tank?
Do you have a kit to test KH? Your pH dropping could be as a result of low KH.

OP
P

plecziah

Reaction score
Dom90 said:
Do you have a kit to test KH? Your pH dropping could be as a result of low KH.
nope only have the standard freshwater kit. And I have 10 danios zebra and leopard and 2x BN plecos (the plecos are acting the same as usual). And yeah ill do a big water change today

LiterallyHydro

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What is the pH coming out of your tap water? And what is your water change schedule? Sorry if you mentioned already, I didn't read the whole thread yet.

OP
P

plecziah

Reaction score
LiterallyHydro said:
What is the pH coming out of your tap water? And what is your water change schedule? Sorry if you mentioned already, I didn't read the whole thread yet.
Ahhh haven't checked the PH coming out of the tap :O ill do that now, and um I do water changes weekly unless I'm concerned about a fish then it will be more regular

LiterallyHydro

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Okay. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't a lack of maintenance that caused the water to use up your buffer and lower the pH over time. That would be a tank that has fallen victI'm to old tank syndrome.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You also need to test your KH, a low KH won't be able to hold your pH stable enough.

OP
P

plecziah

Reaction score
Dom90 said:
You also need to test your KH, a low KH won't be able to hold your pH stable enough.
Ok I will need to buy a test kit for KH then

LiterallyHydro

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
If your kH is a bit low, you can raise it with a media bag filled with crushed coral in your filter. Also, driftwood and peat moss soften the water so if you have an excess of either, they could be removed.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes driftwood and peat lower the pH so if your pH is too low, those should be removed.

New Threads