2 Fish Dead Hypoxia, Stray Current Or ?

Phish111

Yesterday I moved my new fish from QT tank to main tank. (Rasboras) Everyone was good. My HOB AQ70 filter flow seemed stopped up so I take out the sponge and wring it out in some tank water in a bucket 3 times. Put it back in, put my biomax on top and start back up. (Some of the gunk from the sponge spit out when I started the filter back up)

The only thing I did out of ordinary is changed the little filter in the UV Sterilizer and plugged it in after cleaning media. I have sponge filters in both tanks as well as of last week. I run the sterilizer after cleaning media as it seems to help clear the water quicker.

Right after this my fish start gasping for air. My Rasboras first, 2 started corkscrew swimming so I grabbed a net and got all 8 Rasboras out straight back to QT tank. Both tanks are identical in paramaters and temp 80 degrees. pH 7.6 Amm 0 Nitrites 0 Nitrates 20.

I grabbed an extra air stone and put it in tank. I did a 40% WC on both tanks w/ Prime.

After this, everyone is still gasping, one of my male snails climbed out of the water. I grab my inverts and put them in my QT tank with the Rasboras. Did another 20% WC on main tank.

Over the next 6 hours I lost my 2 Bolivian Rams. Both had a vertical red line between their ventral fins and one had a red line by analfin. I necropsied both but saw nothing remarkable internally.

54114862_869728686702949_5616977771809996800_n.jpg
53641349_869728833369601_5313606789831327744_n.jpg

Someone suggested stray current. I took out my UV Sterilizer, my sponge filter and switched my Aquaclear 70 filter back to my Aqueon 75. The AC didn't seem to be putting out much of a flow and didn't have time to troubleshoot it so thru the sponge and all my biomax in the back of my old Aqueon.

Bought a multimeter. Tested everything. With filter, light, heater, air pump and digital thermo reading is 35.9V. Also dropped my temp to 78.

Anyone have any idea what could have happened here?

Oliver1209

Well I could think of a number of Possibilities:
  1. Water change stress
  2. Fluctuation in water temperature
  3. High nitrate and ammonium levels
  4. Lack of Oxygen
  5. Water infested with chemicals from tank
  6. Water Poisoning
  7. Algae Poisoning
  8. Lack of feeding/Overfeeding
  9. Disease
  10. Inappropriate Aquarium Size
  11. Issues Beyond Your Control

OP
Phish111

Phish111

Oliver1209 said:
Well I could think of a number of Possibilities:
  1. Water change stress
  2. Fluctuation in water temperature
  3. High nitrate and ammonium levels
  4. Lack of Oxygen
  5. Water infested with chemicals from tank
  6. Water Poisoning
  7. Algae Poisoning
  8. Lack of feeding/Overfeeding
  9. Disease
  10. Inappropriate Aquarium Size
  11. Issues Beyond Your Control
1. They've tolerated bigger water changes fine
2. It fluctuated 2 degrees
3. Amm 0 Nitrate 20 maybe lower, the orange is hard to read for me
4. Likely
5. Possibly
6. Do elaborate
7. No algae
8. Negatory
9, Possibly -- Would you like to look at the necropsy photos to give your opinion?
10. Not overstocked
11. Good point

Btw, in your profile it says you don't know about the nitrogen cycle? Do you feel qualified to comment on a post of this content?.

Michael.j.gomez

Hello, this is only my opinion. But sounds like ammonia poisoning(burnt gills cause fish to suck air). If you did a thorough cleaning of sponge, substrate & used sterilizer(sterilizer will kill free floating good & bad bacteria in water). You may have removed or killed to much. Causing spike. Hope this helps!

OP
Phish111

Phish111

Michael.j.gomez said:
Hello, this is only my opinion. But sounds like ammonia poisoning(burnt gills cause fish to suck air). If you did a thorough cleaning of sponge, substrate & used sterilizer(sterilizer will kill free floating good & bad bacteria in water). You may have removed or killed to much. Causing spike. Hope this helps!
Thanks for your reply! Would make sense, but only rang it out 3 times. Thing was still filthy honestly. But wasn't getting much of a flow on my Aquaclear so thought it might help a bit. I've tested water over and over looking for a spike of any sort, nothing. Very frustrating. Oh, didn't touch substrate, and just had sterilizer on for a minute to clean up particles coming out of filter, I use it during filter maintenance pretty much just for that reason. I'm leaning towards low DO in water for some reason or stray current. I can't find any pic of electrocution in fish to compare necropsy findings. Was hoping someone on here had seen the red vertical lines and could identify honestly. Thanks again.

Nick72

Well Known
Hey Phish111 - that sounds awful. Sorry you lost so many fish.

I can't see how cleaning your filters could have done this.

Hopefully someone will come up with some suggestions?

OP
Phish111

Phish111

Nick72 said:
Hey Phish111 - that sounds awful. Sorry you lost so many fish.

I can't see how cleaning your filters could have done this.

Hopefully someone will come up with some suggestions?
Thank you Nick72 , it's pretty upsetting. I hope so as well.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Any time I see something like this happening shortly after a water change as it is always done and nothing new has been added to the tank or anything different done I have to ask if it is possible your water company has done any maintenance on the water lines in you area lately.

If I am reading correctly you did a water change on both the main tank and the QT and fish are acting the same in both tanks. That tells me something changed in your source water.

RookieTank

Did you remember to dechlorinate the water. I can't count the times I changed water and almost forgot to add prime. Stupid mistakes happen.

OP
Phish111

Phish111

mattgirl said:
Any time I see something like this happening shortly after a water change as it is always done and nothing new has been added to the tank or anything different done I have to ask if it is possible your water company has done any maintenance on the water lines in you area lately.

If I am reading correctly you did a water change on both the main tank and the QT and fish are acting the same in both tanks. That tells me something changed in your source water.
I'm leaning toward this as we have had a lot of flooding this month where I live. Wondering if this affected things that normally wouldn't be in my tap water.

Almost lost my Angelfish tonight, she was twirling when I got home, getting knocked into my driftwood and almost dead. Was able to get her into QT and she's relaxing swimming fine now. She gave me quite the scare!!

Someone on a FB group brought up another possibility. UV poisoning? I had never heard of it, but had just pulled the filter out of my UV Sterilizer and changed it when all this went down. Not finding much in way of that online tho.

Just moved my snails and Rasboras out of QT back into main tank a couple of hours ago and everything is looking great so far! (QT was full. lol) Now I've just got Althea my Angel in by herself. A lot less stress on her. I didn't want to wake up to her feeling MUCH better and all of my Rasboras eaten as a snack. ha I imagine she will be freaking out this time come tomorrow in her new shoebox. I may take advantage of this time to give her her methylene blue baths I've been meaning to for a couple of spots on pectoral fins. I've just been dreading like **** netting her. (Granted she pulls thru and is on the mend)

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
I've not heard of UV poisoning either. Please let us know if you find more information on it.

Good idea not to feed your Rasboras to her. She might have presented with a different problem this morning .... a belly ache from too much food. I am pulling for her.

OP
Phish111

Phish111

I've sense lost both my Bolivian Rams, 5 Harlequin Rasboras, and my Pearl Gourami. My Panda Cory Cats stay in hiding so I don't know if they're all alive or not. I'm sick. The Rasboras were looking good then started gasping for air, then had to euth. Same w Pearl Gourami. My Angel and remaining Rassboras are in QT, seems the only way I can keep them alive.

AvalancheDave

Well Known
Power on/off cycles are bad for UV bulbs. So bad that some manufacturers specify lifetime in hours and power cycles. Minimize turning UV on/off and try not to let it run dry as it might overheat.

Nitrate levels have be well into the thousands to be toxic.

A lot of weird things happen in the circulatory systems of dying animals so I don't think the red lines mean much.

It's somewhat odd that they don't display abnormal breathing until near the end. If it was chlorine they should have problems almost immediately and probably red gills as well.

How did you heat the replacement water?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Dang, I'm so sorry for all your losses!
I'd check with the water company first, ask if the flooding has dissolved more heavy metals into the water or if they've had to use extra cleaning stuff in the water. Flooding can bring in pesticides, algaecides, and dissolve new heavy mineral deposits that the water company isn't aware of. If possible, as to see if they can check that or if the tap lines have been flushed recently.

MomeWrath

Well Known
I have to join the "source water issue" camp here. It says you're in the SE US... Where I live, March is when they usually flush our water system with seriously high levels of chlorine (normally they use chloramines here). I hate doing water changes at that time, and it wouldn't surprise me if there's been flooding in your area if they did it to your water system. Another member had a similar issue recently and lost an entire tank of African Cichlids almost instantly after a water change. I hope things get better for you soon. <3

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Phish111 said:
I've sense lost both my Bolivian Rams, 5 Harlequin Rasboras, and my Pearl Gourami. My Panda Cory Cats stay in hiding so I don't know if they're all alive or not. I'm sick. The Rasboras were looking good then started gasping for air, then had to euth. Same w Pearl Gourami. My Angel and remaining Rassboras are in QT, seems the only way I can keep them alive.
Oh my goodness. This is breaking my heart. If you have Prime you may want to add an emergency dose of 5 times the normal dose to the tank. I don't know that it will help but if there were higher levels of heavy metals and maybe higher than normal chlorine/chloramines in the water it might help the corys that are still in this tank.

New Threads