2 fire mouths in a 20 gallon long

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by FishGuy101, Dec 31, 2012.

1. FishGuy101 Valued Member Member

can I put 2 fire mouth cichlids in a 20 gallon long

2. RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Hi,

A pair would work in a 20g but two unpaired Firemouths would probably attack each other.

3. cichlidman Well Known Member Member

should be fine if the both have a place to hide . Depends on the individual fish i guess

4. FishGuy101 Valued Member Member

ok, I'm going to add a lot of plants and hiding spots so fighting shouldn't be a problem and the tank is cycled its Ben up for a bout a year with other fish there all gone now and it has gravel I want to change to sand would I have to cycle it again ?

5. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

You would not have to cycle it again, the majority of your bacteria is in the filter not the gravel or other substrate.

6. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

As they get bigger, there could definitely be problems. As a grow out, I don't see any issues with that.

7. RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

That depends. How long have the fish been gone and have you changed the filter media since they were taken out of the tank?

8. cichlidmac Well Known Member Member

You may have to re-cycle if you haven't had any ammonia production in the aquarium for a while.

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

There's just not room for you to have lots of hiding spots for fish that can grow to 6+ inches. The fact that it's a long tank is WAY better than if it were a high, but it's still not much tank for medium sized fish. The close quarters aren't going to help them get along better, IMO. No matter what you do to the tank.

Also, firemouths are excellent parents - what plan do you have for the fry? You certainly wouldn't have much tank space for them to grow. If you want to keep a pair and breed them, then I would choose a smaller cichlid, like apistos or german blue rams. There are also shell dwellers - african cichlids. They are small and are a harem type fish, so you could have a small group. I don't know that much about africans though, so maybe not.

10. FishGuy101 Valued Member Member

maybe just one fire mouth and I haven't changed the filter but I have changed the filter cartridges

11. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

If you were to get one, I would try and get a female since they are smaller.

Have you considered switching to custom media? In addition to better performance, it'll save you money.

12. FishGuy101 Valued Member Member

no I haven't