2 filters on a 33 gallon tank

Muskies85
Hey guys. So I posted a while back. I have the 33 long that is 48 inches in length. I have the tidal 55 on one side But was seeing stagnant water over on the far side. I put a powerhead on that side and now it’s flowing fine but... I just bought another tidal. Tidal 35 this time. So here is my question. When you have two filters is it always best to put them on the opposite corners? Also if I run the powerhead as well I’m assuming there is a good chance I would have too strong of water flow. I’m hoping to be able to use the powerhead don’t know if it’s going to be feasible. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Utar
I have a 29 gallon, been up for over two years. I have the same setup, with two HOBs and a power head. I have my two HOBs together with the power head on the other end. I guess it is all a matter of choice on how a person sets it up. Some fish can take the current while others will not like it. Usally the types of fish that don't like a lot of water flow are the non-conventional shaped fish, like Angels or long finned like Bettas. But the traditional shaped fish like danos etc don't mind the faster water flow. But I could be wrong, just my thinking.

Muskies85
Ok I can completely see your reasoning now. Because my main concern was that I might have to try and put the powerhead in the middle or something which I think would look odd if the current was going down the middle. So maybe I just do what you did and put the Tidal 35 and 55 side by side with powerhead pushing water towards the filters? What’s the consensus?

AmnScott
When I have two HOBs on one tank I put them on opposite ends. In theory this allows for more efficient filtration since they are on different parts of the tank. But if the current is decent in the tank, putting them together would work too. I have an AC50 and AC30 on a 29 gallon. One is turned down a little bit so the current isn't too strong.

Muskies85
So with 2 and powerhead it just comes down to preference really? I will probably put the smaller one and the powerhead on one side and larger one on opposite side. And by side I mean corner of back wall

idkausernamesoyeah
So with 2 and powerhead it just comes down to preference really? I will probably put the smaller one and the powerhead on one side and larger one on opposite side. And by side I mean corner of back wall
theoretically its just preference but if it were me id do opposite ends. to fill the stagnant water you could fill it with some floating plants like salvinia minima or duckweed, which i am currently selling lol

Muskies85
Hahaha just so happens huh? Well the thing is the water is no longer stagnant because I got the powerhead. But I said screw it and bought another filter anyways. So as of right now I don’t have any stagnant wAter. That being said was curious about placement of filters.

Muskies85
Any other opinions here?

wishuponafish
On my 33 long I have an aquaclear on one end and some sponge filters on the other. The biological filtration is already overkill and given a choice my fish prefer the low current side so I stopped worrying about circulation.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Mike1995
Replies
Views
skar
Replies
Views
Fishfriendkeeper
Replies