2 female clown killifish

• Thread starter Ashleylh
  • Start date

Ashleylh

Hello, so I put 2 female clown killifish in my 5 gallon tank 2 weeks ago and the bigger female of the 2 keeps nipping at the other, smaller one. Is there anything I can do? They are feeding well and the water is good. Would you suggest taking one back to the store and replacing as I was considering getting a male to make three once they had them in stock. Thanks!

Flyfisha

Well Known
I have clown killifish.
I have had similar issues. The local shops sold me 5 males . I lost the 3 smallest from aggression I presume? I found a couple of females at auction giving me 4 in a 5.5 gallon. Recently I looked up Aqadvisor and it suggested a school of 5 minimum.

lots of floating plants are necessary. Mine swim at all levels regardless of what the books say about them being a top water species.

Do you have other fish in the tank?
I do not ,only shrimp.

If you have no other fish I would get a male.
If you have a tank full of other species you could still get a male.?

With very small mouths i feed small food.

LadfromLondon

Well Known
2 fish of any species usually results in dominant behaviour from one against the other. The more you have, the less nipping you should experience as it’d be harder for one fish to be singled out.

Having said that, it seems like it would be quite a squeeze in a5G, so I’ll let someone else chime in for me :)

Ashleylh

Thanks for replying! I have 6 galaxy rasboras with them and some shrimp. But the galaxy's tend to stay around the middle or close to the bottom and the clown killifish generally stay around the top so they don't really get in each others way. My tank is the 23l fluval edge and this doesnt have a massive open area at the top so I was worried about adding floating plants in case it interfered with the surface area. I thought the best bet was to get a couple more given how tiny they are??

Flyfisha

Well Known
My tank was is Fluval edge? Or similar. A second hand tank I got stuck into it with a razor blade and removed that lid for easier access.

You might be right in being concerned about the surface area for oxygen transfer if you fill the water up to the glass roof?

It would seem from reading others comments you need a bigger school in hope of avoiding aggression?

Ashleylh

I think I'll try adding a couple more and see if that helps! Thanks

erinw347

Well Known
I have found my clown killies to be very peaceful, even to each other. I currently have 1 male and 2 females and everyone gets along well.

Top Bottom