2 diffrent types of tiger barb??

Discussion in 'Tiger Barb' started by glent54321, Nov 28, 2012.

1. g

glent54321 New Member Member

Hi,

New to the forum so please bear with me,

So, i bought some tiger barbs a few months back from 2 diffrent places as i had newly set the tank up and didnt want to introduce to many at once. anyway, i now have 3 tiger barbs (1 albino and 2 normla) who have very dark marking and clearly have 5 stripes on them, they are much rounder. and very active, i also have 4 which are very slender and smaller and seem alot less colourfull and always remain in the plants at the back of the tank they will occasionally shoal with the other 3 but not for long.

i have been reading on countless forums about diffrent things, dimmer lighting, more room to swim but nothing seems to be working really.

can anyone offer advise on whats going on?

i will try and post some pictures tomo (29th)

Cheers

Mike

2. RandomZoid

RandomZoid Valued Member Member

It's likely you got 2 different types of species. The albino and normal ones will shoal but if 3 of them are smaller and more slender it's probably a different type of barb. Do the other 3 have the same vertical stripes or a horizontal stripe? If they have the exact same patterns and are just skinnier it's possible they are just from a less healthy strain or have some sort of parasite.

3. OP
    OP
    g

glent54321 New Member Member

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. the other four have the same stripes but only have 4 stripes not 5? there eating fine and will swim etc but just dont shoal with the 3 bigger ones.

4. MotherMajesty:)

MotherMajesty:) Valued Member Member

I remember reading that there were 2 strains of Tiger Barbs - one from Sumatra (if memory serves - which it does less & less of late...) and I forget the other. ;) When I saw your post I tried to find it, but haven't been successful yet.

When I had TBs they would spend most of their time in small groups - 3 or 4 would hang out together. Then, like maybe once a day they might actually school. It was a great sight, but it didn't happen all the time. If they're otherwise healthy, I wouldn't worry.

I will post if I find the article about the different strains. It's bugging me now that I can't find it. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice