2 Different Substrate Question + Inspiration Needed!

julifhy

I currently have fluorite black in my tank, but it's a pretty thin layer. Instead of buying more fluorite black, I got some black imagitarium sand. I'm thinking of keeping the 2 substrates separate and putting some lava rocks in the middle, where the substrates would meet. Would that look okay? I would also love to see tanks with 2 different substrates! I need some inspiration lol

StarGirl

I think when you get it in there you may not notice a giant difference. They are both kind of black sand. It sounds like it would look good though what you are thinking.

Kathylee

julifhy said:
I currently have fluorite black in my tank, but it's a pretty thin layer. Instead of buying more fluorite black, I got some black imagitarium sand. I'm thinking of keeping the 2 substrates separate and putting some lava rocks in the middle, where the substrates would meet. Would that look okay? I would also love to see tanks with 2 different substrates! I need some inspiration lol
I had a hard time with 2 different substrates. I had large river rocks & smaller pebbles also colored as river rocks. A member said sand would be more appropriate for cories. So I added two Sand bars, looked very cool, until 1 month later lol! It all kinda blended together. White sand & brown rocks. So I removed rocks little by little & added 10LBS more of sand. Now I have a mess XD
You may have better luck with black colors, but I've never used Flourite Substrate. & I have seen some photos of tanks that had mixes & it did look very nice.

julifhy

StarGirl said:
I think when you get it in there you may not notice a giant difference. They are both kind of black sand. It sounds like it would look good though what you are thinking.
There’re a ~slightly~ different shade of black lol. It might not be too noticeable, but I know I would notice it

Kathylee said:
I had a hard time with 2 different substrates. I had large river rocks & smaller pebbles also colored as river rocks. A member said sand would be more appropriate for cories. So I added two Sand bars, looked very cool, until 1 month later lol! It all kinda blended together. White sand & brown rocks. So I removed rocks little by little & added 10LBS more of sand. Now I have a mess XD
You may have better luck with black colors, but I've never used Flourite Substrate. & I have seen some photos of tanks that had mixes & it did look very nice.
I’m thinking of getting corys, so that’s also why I got sand instead of another bag of flourite black.
I heard of that happening to other people as well. The fluorite black already has a sand like consistency, but a little bit thicker. I’m also planning on keeping them on 2 different sides. I saw people do it before, but they used 2 different colors, so I guess I’m wondering 2 black substrates would also look okay.

I made a quick edit on what I’m talking about lol:
(The colors don’t match up with the actual substrates, but like I said it’s just a quick edit )

And with my driftwood:

Kathylee

julifhy said:
There’re a ~slightly~ different shade of black lol. It might not be too noticeable, but I know I would notice it

I’m thinking of getting corys, so that’s also why I got sand instead of another bag of flourite black.
I heard of that happening to other people as well. The fluorite black already has a sand like consistency, but a little bit thicker. I’m also planning on keeping them on 2 different sides. I saw people do it before, but they used 2 different colors, so I guess I’m wondering 2 black substrates would also look okay.

I made a quick edit on what I’m talking about lol:
(The colors don’t match up with the actual substrates, but like I said it’s just a quick edit )

And with my driftwood:
I actually like the above plans ^
Hey, why not? Give it a shot if you like it! The worst that can happen is= that you'll re-do it if you don't like the finished look. I'm interested in this project though! If you go through with it, i'd like to see it in the end

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom