Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

2 Dead Mystery Snails

Discussion in 'Snails' started by abarb, Mar 30, 2019.

1. abarbWell Known MemberMember

I had 4 mystery snails in a 36 gallon tank. 1 was bought about 2 months ago (bought to but one died very quickly) and the others a few weeks ago. Last week before my tank leaked one of the new ones died. I assumed this was from the hole in its shell that I didn’t notice when buying it. Now after moving everything to a 29 gallon tank (moved water, filter, heater, wood, fish and inverts) the one I bought 2 months ago died. It wasn’t moving for 3 days. Now I found its shell empty and the operculum detached. The other 2 mystery snails, 4 rabbit snails (3 babies), 3 nerite snails and 2 ghost shrimp are all fine. 0 ammonia 0 nitrate 10-20 nitrate ph 7.4 gh 7 kh 5 tds 280. Did not add anything new to the tank recently except a rock that was in the other tank (it was sold at aquarium store). Do not have a copper test but I use thrive c (the small copper amount is ok for inverts) and the foods I feed do not have copper sulphate or have it as one of the last ingredients. The only thing I can think of is my tap water or a snail disease. I’ve been feeding them veggies and fish food. No fish ever bit them. They have access to air. The first one to die was about 1 inch and the one that just died is about 2 inches. What could have caused these 2 snails to die?

Attached Files:

2. AbraCadaverValued MemberMember

Have any fish that eat snails?

3. abarbWell Known MemberMember

No. Corydoras, bolivian rams, platies, swordtails, gourami, bristlenose, clown pleco. I just found a piece of something pink that looks like meat (disgusting) stuck near the air stone. Could it be the snail’s body that was partly eaten? Can’t take a picture because lights are off. Also something is inside the shell but have to wait for picture.

4. AbraCadaverValued MemberMember

Do you have copper or high salt content in the water? I’m by no means a snail expert... lol. I mean, maybe the rams? Do they eat snails? I’ve never owned a ram... my puffers eat snails but they don’t mess with my mystery snails... but They’re the size of a pea I have no idea how big rams are.

5. AbraCadaverValued MemberMember

I know that acidic water can hurt them as well... but your water seems fine... since I have snails in all of my tanks, even pest snails, I add a smallish piece of crushed coral rock to my tank. Helps keep the ph steady, and it’s calcium rich which promotes good snail health. I use some crushed coral in my substrate too, and it hasn’t raised my PH. It stays at 7.4... and to be honest, it may just be a flaw in a batch that you purchased it may not even be your tank. Snails are pretty hearty for the most part. I’d say either that, or one of your fish had themselves a snack.

6. abarbWell Known MemberMember

I haven't added any copper or salt in the tank. The rams don't eat snails.
    I used cuttlebone. The snails stopped moving for a few days then died.