2 Dead Mystery Snails

abarb

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
315
Experience
5 to 10 years
I had 4 mystery snails in a 36 gallon tank. 1 was bought about 2 months ago (bought to but one died very quickly) and the others a few weeks ago. Last week before my tank leaked one of the new ones died. I assumed this was from the hole in its shell that I didn’t notice when buying it. Now after moving everything to a 29 gallon tank (moved water, filter, heater, wood, fish and inverts) the one I bought 2 months ago died. It wasn’t moving for 3 days. Now I found its shell empty and the operculum detached. The other 2 mystery snails, 4 rabbit snails (3 babies), 3 nerite snails and 2 ghost shrimp are all fine. 0 ammonia 0 nitrate 10-20 nitrate ph 7.4 gh 7 kh 5 tds 280. Did not add anything new to the tank recently except a rock that was in the other tank (it was sold at aquarium store). Do not have a copper test but I use thrive c (the small copper amount is ok for inverts) and the foods I feed do not have copper sulphate or have it as one of the last ingredients. The only thing I can think of is my tap water or a snail disease. I’ve been feeding them veggies and fish food. No fish ever bit them. They have access to air. The first one to die was about 1 inch and the one that just died is about 2 inches. What could have caused these 2 snails to die?
 

Attachments

  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
abarb

abarb

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
315
Experience
5 to 10 years
AbraCadaver said:
Have any fish that eat snails?
No. Corydoras, bolivian rams, platies, swordtails, gourami, bristlenose, clown pleco. I just found a piece of something pink that looks like meat (disgusting) stuck near the air stone. Could it be the snail’s body that was partly eaten? Can’t take a picture because lights are off. Also something is inside the shell but have to wait for picture.
 

AbraCadaver

Active Member
Member
Messages
173
Reaction score
107
Experience
Just started
abarb said:
No. Corydoras, bolivian rams, platies, swordtails, gourami, bristlenose, clown pleco. I just found a piece of something pink that looks like meat (disgusting) stuck near the air stone. Could it be the snail’s body that was partly eaten? Can’t take a picture because lights are off. Also something is inside the shell but have to wait for picture.
Do you have copper or high salt content in the water? I’m by no means a snail expert... lol. I mean, maybe the rams? Do they eat snails? I’ve never owned a ram... my puffers eat snails but they don’t mess with my mystery snails... but They’re the size of a pea I have no idea how big rams are.
 

AbraCadaver

Active Member
Member
Messages
173
Reaction score
107
Experience
Just started
abarb said:
No. Corydoras, bolivian rams, platies, swordtails, gourami, bristlenose, clown pleco. I just found a piece of something pink that looks like meat (disgusting) stuck near the air stone. Could it be the snail’s body that was partly eaten? Can’t take a picture because lights are off. Also something is inside the shell but have to wait for picture.
I know that acidic water can hurt them as well... but your water seems fine... since I have snails in all of my tanks, even pest snails, I add a smallish piece of crushed coral rock to my tank. Helps keep the ph steady, and it’s calcium rich which promotes good snail health. I use some crushed coral in my substrate too, and it hasn’t raised my PH. It stays at 7.4... and to be honest, it may just be a flaw in a batch that you purchased it may not even be your tank. Snails are pretty hearty for the most part. I’d say either that, or one of your fish had themselves a snack.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
abarb

abarb

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
315
Experience
5 to 10 years
AbraCadaver said:
Do you have copper or high salt content in the water? I’m by no means a snail expert... lol. I mean, maybe the rams? Do they eat snails? I’ve never owned a ram... my puffers eat snails but they don’t mess with my mystery snails... but They’re the size of a pea I have no idea how big rams are.
I haven't added any copper or salt in the tank. The rams don't eat snails.
AbraCadaver said:
I know that acidic water can hurt them as well... but your water seems fine... since I have snails in all of my tanks, even pest snails, I add a smallish piece of crushed coral rock to my tank. Helps keep the ph steady, and it’s calcium rich which promotes good snail health. I use some crushed coral in my substrate too, and it hasn’t raised my PH. It stays at 7.4... and to be honest, it may just be a flaw in a batch that you purchased it may not even be your tank. Snails are pretty hearty for the most part. I’d say either that, or one of your fish had themselves a snack.
I used cuttlebone. The snails stopped moving for a few days then died.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
284
Guests online
3,317
Total visitors
3,601

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom