2 dead fish in Betta cups today and 2 female koi that were nearly all white

Debbie1986

I needed stability & calcium so off I went to pet store.

I found 2 dead - beautiful white elephant ear female & a galaxy male. They were already decomposing. :(

I saw 2 female koI that were nearly all white - completely washed out of color. I knew they were doomed because of quarantine. So I bought them rather than let them die due to neglect. The last thing I needed was more betta female fish, but they had maybe 1 more day at most.

My harem tank (20 long) is packed, so no go there. Due to their circumstances, fish bowls not ideal & neither were the small betta tanks I had. I needed highly oxygenated water.

The smallest female had a curve in her tail. the other is super long & very skinny.

No pictures, as I wanted them immediately into water. I'm on county water Lake Lanier- it's the only water source here in North metro ATL, so tonight I said screw it to acclimatizing them. They just went directly into my 38 gallon community tank - skirt tetra, 5 neon tetras, 9 black neon tetras plus:

Col. Mustard full moon betta male is in there but anyone can out swim him due to fins.

Penelope light blue elephant ear female is in there because she had front fin damage ( with blood) last month & she took to the tank really well so I did not remove her after she healed.

within an hour, the new ( still nameless) KoI females had their color. The smallest female - the kink in her tail seems to be gone as she moved like a bullet when Penelope got to close. I fed Betta bug bites, I think they both got some, not a lot. It's going to be a pain training them meal times while in a community tank, but it's better than if I had not taken them.

The 38 long tank is over stocked now. But because I do 10% water changes mon, weds, fri, I think I'll be okay until I can move my Betta harem to the 36 bow front in next 2 months.

On a good note, I got rid of half my mystery snail clutch, so yay! they will get new homes & be loved by ppl who need algae eaters!

Finatic005

Debbie1986 said:
I needed stability & calcium so off I went to pet store.

I found 2 dead - beautiful white elephant ear female & a galaxy male. They were already decomposing. :(

I saw 2 female koI that were nearly all white - completely washed out of color. I knew they were doomed because of quarantine. So I bought them rather than let them die due to neglect. The last thing I needed was more betta female fish, but they had maybe 1 more day at most.

My harem tank (20 long) is packed, so no go there. Due to their circumstances, fish bowls not ideal & neither were the small betta tanks I had. I needed highly oxygenated water.

The smallest female had a curve in her tail. the other is super long & very skinny.

No pictures, as I wanted them immediately into water. I'm on county water Lake Lanier- it's the only water source here in North metro ATL, so tonight I said screw it to acclimatizing them. They just went directly into my 38 gallon community tank - skirt tetra, 5 neon tetras, 9 black neon tetras plus:

Col. Mustard full moon betta male is in there but anyone can out swim him due to fins.

Penelope light blue elephant ear female is in there because she had front fin damage ( with blood) last month & she took to the tank really well so I did not remove her after she healed.

within an hour, the new ( still nameless) KoI females had their color. The smallest female - the kink in her tail seems to be gone as she moved like a bullet when Penelope got to close. I fed Betta bug bites, I think they both got some, not a lot. It's going to be a pain training them meal times while in a community tank, but it's better than if I had not taken them.

The 38 long tank is over stocked now. But because I do 10% water changes mon, weds, fri, I think I'll be okay until I can move my Betta harem to the 36 bow front in next 2 months.

On a good note, I got rid of half my mystery snail clutch, so yay! they will get new homes & be loved by ppl who need algae eaters!
The world needs more people that would do this... good for you!

NBettas83

Good work! It's so sad how pet stores treat animals! I looked up "animal cruelty in pet stores" to research the topic for a school project earlier today, and the first results where directions to PetSmart and Petco.

MacZ

Honestly, I hope you didn't bring any fish diseases back home, that might kill off the fish in that community tank. You knew they are likely sick and still put them in there. Good luck and may you not lose any tetras that way.

Sorry, I see doing what you just did not as "rescues" but as a risk to the animals you have and giving the store more money than they deserve and the sales numbers tell them to order in more that are not correctly cared for. It might have turned out ok this time, next time you might kill your whole tank.

In general: Don't buy livestock at stores that treat their stock so neglectfully. It only costs you nerves, money and worst case other fish.

Debbie1986

MacZ said:
Honestly, I hope you didn't bring any fish diseases back home, that might kill off the fish in that community tank. You knew they are likely sick and still put them in there. Good luck and may you not lose any tetras that way.

Sorry, I see doing what you just did not as "rescues" but as a risk to the animals you have and giving the store more money than they deserve and the sales numbers tell them to order in more that are not correctly cared for. It might have turned out ok this time, next time you might kill your whole tank.

In general: Don't buy livestock at stores that treat their stock so neglectfully. It only costs you nerves, money and worst case other fish.
I don't disagree with what you are saying and it's why I never used the term rescue. I purchased them.

The dogs I got from an animal rescue, I never rescued them myself- I purchased them, paid money. I never tell ppl they were rescued by me because I didn't get them from the pound, sone1 else did.

This wasn't a 'oh I'm a saint post.' I was genuinely conflicted. This wasn't the first time that store has had dead bettas. I have posted about the last fall & my outrage.

I spent yesterday searching online for a local fish store to give my snails too, but I was on a time crunch due to the quarantine & places closing early. i gave the same store with the dead bettas over 30 snails free no money or discount. The difference is the snails immediately went into the standing tanks while I was present so I knwo they'll be okay. I've spent hundreds of dollars there, my 36 bow front etc. I only went there because they have exotic bettas I can't get elsewhere. But I'm sort of tired of their business practices - ie staff not maintaining the bettas. It rubs me the wrong way in terms of ethics. but yesterday I did not raise a stink because quartine has every1 off their game and ppl are scared. The cashier had gloves on , no face mask & my state infection rate is getting higher, so I passed on giving them grief.

The Pet Smart by me has fish ppl, so they are always top notch on their Betta care. But they lack the exotics. Hopefully the local fish place I found ( and plan on taking the next 30+ snails to) next week will be my new shopping place & I can drop this big box.

MacZ

Allright, your original post came across very much differently. NOW I can say "Well done". ;)

Debbie1986

I played musical tanks - Penelope just wouldn't chill and let the new girls rest. She back in 20 long harem.

Penelope & China Rose, a greenish- blue full moon betta try to vi for top dog in tank so I am keeping an eye on them.

I have a juvenile veil tail, so I moved her into the 38 long so the females are all the same size now.

And Poor Col. Mustard cannot catch any of them, lol. Poor dear just has to admire,

I think I'm going to call them Fire & Ice

my phone is terrible at pictures of this tank. The wall behind it is celadon ( blue green) and it just looks blah.

Attachments

Debbie1986

Fire died, she had clamped fins & didn't respond when I added Dr Tim's immune booster. :( she was very thin so it was iffy.

Ice is doing wonderful. very smart girl & loves her Betta bites

Top Bottom