2 day old Walmart tank kit. Help

1. fedfam Initiate Member

:;smack Ok, so I've cared for fish before. Most recently (8 years ago) a 13 inch Oscar in a very large fish tank, the size I can't recall. I mention this for a reason.

Saturday my daughter was given some Christmas money to spend as she wished. She chose to spend it on a fish tank kit. This tank is an "Aqua Culture" Home Aquarium Starter Kit 5. Basically a 10 Gallon tank with a couple fake plants, rocks and a "Aqua tech" 5-15 gal power filter.

We also bought (2) gold fish looking guys with those big ugly eyes.So anyhow the first one we brought home, we pulled it out of the box but the darn tank was cracked, so we brought it back for a replacement.

So we set it up, went through the cycle of rinsing, letting it get to room temp and all that crap. However the very next day the water was dirty. Yellow and smelly, as if the the fish had gone a whole 1 or 2 weeks with out a cleaning.

I don't get it. I've NEVER had a tank get so dirty so quickly. The filter is running..... Other than that I am clueless. The best thing I can think of is the filter design is cruddy. From what I can see some of the water doesn't even make it's way through the filter, instead sneaks it's way out just before the actual cartridge.

I've adjusted the cartridge and everything and it seem to still be an issue.

So unless I am missing something, should I just get a better filter? Anyone know of any problems with the brand of power filter? I usually used Penguin or Whisper when I was caring for fish, and don't know much about Aqua tech.

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore :)
    I've got a kit from walmart and another aqua tech on another tank and never had problems with them.
    Goldfish are really messy fish, for one it's recommended you have 20 gallons and an additional 10 gallons for each additional Goldfish.
    They produce a ton of waste and can really big.
    Goldfish

However, after 2 days, I wouldn't think the water would get yellow and smell.
    Have you taken the filter apart to be sure it's put together correctly?
    Could be just a faulty filter.

Best of luck!

3. Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

You can try adding activated carbon to the filter. it should clear up the color problem and smell........ jmho:;dete

4. fedfam Initiate Member

That's the thing, I have checked and double checked the instructions and assembly. Everything is good. And the filter itself has activated carbon pre inserted in the cartridge. That is why I am at a loss.

5. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

After entering the chamber (don't know if that's the correct word) does the water leak out over the intake tube?

6. Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

Have you tested the water? did you use tap water or RO water? if its tap water is it well water?:;dete

7. fedfam Initiate Member

The tap water is city water. And by the way the water went in clear if that makes any sense. And no the water does not over run that tube. I am aware of this issue and realize this could be an issue.

I do notice that the water outlet which is an outlet on the backside(starting point of the filtration process) seems to be a poor design. That filter cartridge sit right over top of that and doesn't appear to make a good seal to be sure that the water runs just in that back and not before the filter.

I know this may not paint an accurate picture, but I don't know a better way to explain it. 344.jpg

The best I can say is there is nothing preventing the out flow from mixing in with the in flow.

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I see what you're saying. Honestly, I've never thought about the seal between the cartridge and the bottom of the filter.
    I don't think this would explain yellow smelly water.

Any chance the gravel is leeching color? Do you have driftwood?

Edit: What does the water smell like? Some water conditioners like Prime smell really bad.

9. Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

I hate to say this but you may need to just let it run in for a few days to see what happens....JMHO:;dete

10. Borisbbadd Guest

I have Aqua Tech filters on my 3 betta tanks, and have never had a problem with them.

I can't imagine the water going bad that fast, even if the filter was not working. Could it just be dirty from the gravel ?

I agree with Goldwing_Don, you may just have to run it and see.

11. Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

OK...is the tank looking any better yet?