2 dark spots on new gourami should I worry about disease and qt it?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Daac, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Daac

Daac Well Known Member Member

I just bought a new honey gourami today. I was about to acclimate him into my 36 gallon community just now when I noticed he has two small dark brown or black spots on his side and bottom fin. Could this be a disease and should I quarantine him? I know you should always quarantine but every time I do my fish die in quarantine but when I put them straight into the 36 they do fine. What do you guys think? I won't put him in the 36 until I am sure it will be safe for my other fish for him to go in. Any advice is appreciated and I'll try to get a picture up asap. Thanks

Here's the best picture I could get... you can kinda see it on his side. He is pretty active so I couldn't get a good picture and he wouldn't face me the right way.
    Picture1213122025_1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

You should quarantine all new fish, whether they appear healthy or not. No exceptions. Quarantining the new fish is not killing them, unless you don't run a cycled filter on the tank. Which I'm sure you know.

You can certainly risk not quarantining. Sounds like it's worked for you so far, but how long do you expect your good fortune to continue? All it takes is one fish to wipe out your tank.

3. OP
    OP
    Daac

I know that and from not quarantining once I did get ich in my 15 gallon tank. I'm just thinking that since all the fish I ever put in my 10 gallon qt tank I had died that maybe something was wrong with that tank but I just remembered that I have my 15 gallon tank up as the qt tank now so I'm not as worried about quarantining. Ok so I'll qt him but does anyone know what that could be and if it is a disease how to treat it? Thanks!

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Ich is the LAST thing anyone should be concerned about.

A picture would be helpful for an ID. Ah, there it is....

I can't tell what it is. My advice is to put the fish in quarantine for observation. Surprise surprise :)

5. OP
    OP
    Daac

Ok thanks. Will do. I'll watch to see if it spreads or grows or anything.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice