2 Cs in a 75gallon Tank?

bex.187

Hello all, I'm new here and to the hobby but I have a couple of questions I need some help with

First I'll give you a little run down of my tank set up. Like stated before it is 75gallon. The filter is a Hagen Fluval 404. Have a submersible heater, and glass canopy with lights.

I don't really have much for decor, a plastic plant in one corner hiding the pump intake, and some columns on the other side of the tank(that I'm considering taking out because I don't really like them).

I do not have any fish in the tank yet, I just set it up.. and from reading some things I used the wrong kind of salt (aquarium salt) so I will have to drain and refill with marine salt water. I bought everything used, so I am hoping I do not have to do much of a cycle since there is bacteria already on the media.

1. Is a 75 gallon tank big enough for 2-4 Columbian Sharks?
If I went with 2, would there be room for other tank mates?

2. Is using gravel alright for substrate (what I currently have), or is sand better?

3. The salt.. for a 75 gallon how much salt to I initially add? And then with each water change how much do I add? My main concern is adding enough salt so the fish are ok, but not too stressed (being as they will come from FW).

4. Once they are adults will they require complete salt water? And if so, will I have to do any major changes to my tank? (like adding reefs, coral, and whatnot). I do not want a "marine" tank, just something clean and simple. Also, if they will require complete salt water, what type of tank mates will be good?

Virt

Have a look here for a little information: https://www.fishlore.com/profile-columbianshark.htm

Couple of questions; is this your first tank and what made you choose C. sharks in particular?
I am only asking because there are easier fish to keep in fresh water

bex.187

I have read that.

I chose columbian sharks mainly because I want a catfish tank, and out of all of the ones I have seen I like them the best. I like how they get bigger like catfish in the wild.

ppate1977

That is somewhat of a demanding fish to keep. It is great you are researching first. If you do chose to stick with the C shark, it will be a lot of work. Some members with experience keeping this fish will find your thread soon. Good luck and welcome to FL.

bex.187

Thank you I like this fish a lot, I would really like some input from someone experienced with them. I have been reading a lot but it seems like every other site/forum has different information.

CichlidConossuier

I have been told that 75 gallon is decent enough for up to three sharks. They are not the easiest fish to keep. But not the hardest either. I'm in the process of putting together a Columbian Shark tank. My main caution is that you realize these guys need brackish water condtions. I believe the SG needs to be around 1.010. I'm sure that Sharkdude or ColumbianShark3 will find this thread soon. They've helped me out a lot. Good luck.

bex.187

I am aware.. That is one of my concerns.. how much salt I should start out with them, and how much to progress over so much time since I have read they have to have full salt water as adults (this I'm not sure on though).

CichlidConossuier

From what I have read and hear. And the process I plan on using. All of the fish I will be getting (tonight!!!!) are kept in fresh water. So my tank is established with freshwater. And the plan is to raise the salinity in the tank about .002 every week. My goal level is 1.010. I plan on simply mixing the water in a five gallon bucket, and mixing it into the tank when performing water changes.

ColumbianShark3

bex.187 said:
I am aware.. That is one of my concerns.. how much salt I should start out with them, and how much to progress over so much time since I have read they have to have full salt water as adults (this I'm not sure on though).

I've kept Columbian shark. (had 3 for 3 years) And they're great fish but as you just said they will need full salt water as adults. The best thing to do in the begining is to make sure you know whether they're in fresh water when you buy them or in brackish (that will depend on size).. so you can start them in the same condition..

CichlidConossuier said:
From what I have read and hear. And the process I plan on using. All of the fish I will be getting (tonight!!!!) are kept in fresh water. So my tank is established with freshwater. And the plan is to raise the salinity in the tank about .002 every week. My goal level is 1.010. I plan on simply mixing the water in a five gallon bucket, and mixing it into the tank when performing water changes.

Slow acclimation to Salt like this is the best way to do it..

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom