2 Canister Filters? Help Please

1. KevInLA

KevInLA Valued Member Member

Hi Everyone,

Im currently cycling my 60 gallon tank (48x15x18), its still in its infancy, havents had nitrites show up yet. I plan onhavbing a community tank with some corys, tetras, a pleco, and a few dwarf cichlids. Im running a Fluval 306 on it right now. I always had in mind to run 2 filters, since I want to make sure theres more than enough filtration and especially if a filter goes down, my tank wouldnt. I have the intake & outputs both on one side right now. The outflow has some pretty good water flow behind it.
    That being said, I was wondering a couple things about 2 filters if anyone can help me out please. Im not the most handy person in the world either....

1 - Would getting another filter right now hinder the cycling process? Should I wait until 1 is cycled first?
    2 - Assuming I get another Fluval 306, what is the best way to position the input/outflows? Im worried if I have 1 of each on either side of the tank, it will create a whirpool or something along those lines...
    3 - Should both outflows be near the top of the tank? With the type of fish I want to keep, I dont want them all having to fight strong currents if I put one halfway down. I jsut want to try and avoid dead spots.
    4 - Outside of putting a spray bar on the outflow, are there any other ways to adjust the flow of the filter?

I appreciate any responses and insight with this. Feel free to offer any suggestions that may help me if you notice anything based on the info I posted. Thanks!!

2. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

IMO, you should do a little more research on your community, mixing in cichlids could be an issue.
    Two filters is a great idea (personally I would run an aquaclear AC70 HOB instead of another canister.
    1. Wouldn't hinder.
    2. Everything opposite the other, however I would point one output low and one high.
    3. see 2
    4. Use the aquastop valve.

Good luck.

3. OP
    OP
    KevInLA

KevInLA Valued Member Member

Thanks for the reply - Id prefer to have a 2nd canister, mainly out of ease of any parts or media replacement. Plus I like canisters! lol - So far, the research Ive done says certain dwarfs like bolivians and kribs can be kept in a community. Even if it doesnt work out I am also considering an electric blue jack and a pleco as my other option. Thankfully I still have time to sort through that part. Much appreciated!

4. leftswerve

leftswerve Well Known Member Member

Form a good relationship with a LFS that'll take or even exchange fish and you're good.
    Have you ever owned a canister for very long? Give owning and cleaning one a few times around before you knock supplementing with a hob instead.
    Good luck.

5. Samuel97

Samuel97 Well Known Member Member

Bolivians and kribs do great in communities, along with other rams, keyhole cichlids and angelfish.

I have just the one 306 on my new 55gal and thats more than enough filtration, so I personally dont think you need a whole extra 306 so if you want another canister you could get a smaller one, you dont need two 306 for a 60gal. If you dont want the double input outputs i have seen someone connect two fluval 206's with the output of the first going into the input of the second and the output of the second back to the tank, but I personally feel that with the great control the aqua valve gives you the two outputs shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck, and show us the tank! :D