2 Bristlenose

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by Kimberly4403, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

I added my 2 BN after falling in love with the peppermint bristlenose.. But just wondering i cant sex them yet there a bit small still approx 3cm will they ever get on.. My common BN who ive had for 8 weeks chases my peppermint will they eventually establish their own territories? I added a second driftwood one at either end of the tank its a 4foot 75g tank... Im assuming this is normal BN behaviour?? Should i be adding zuchinni in 2 different spots or will they eventually eat together given time to sort out pecking order? Ive seen people with 2 or more BNs eating 1 zuchinni so im assuming they just need time to work things out??

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Having more than 1 Pleco per tank can be hit or miss. I have 1 Bristle Nose Pleco @ 4" and I have a Sail Fin Pleco @ 12". They get along just fine and share the slice of zucchini. The more hiding spots you can provide the better the chances of both of them surviving.

I have moved your thread to Catfish/Pleco section of the forum.

Ken

3. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Until they get used to each other I would probably add a second veggie, just to ward off potential issues for the time being.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

Actually now ive had a closer look at the peppermint BN i can already see some bristles forming but on my common BN i cant see any.. How big/old do they need to be before you can sex them accurately?

5. Redshark1Well Known MemberMember

My fry were 4cm before I could properly sex them but it varies. Some develop earlier some develop later.

One I thought must be female disappeared and when I next saw it there were lots of babies in the tank and he was sporting bristles!

I have too many for territorial disputes to be meaningful. They are in a 6ft aquarium with lots of algae, more than they can eat (Bristlenose heaven!). I have got used to having algae on my wood and no longer see it as a bad thing. It's just like nature, right?

6. Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

Peppermints are so pretty

Attached Files:

7. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

They really are gorgeous plecos, I'll agree with you there :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice