2 Bristlenose

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by Kimberly4403, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

I added my 2 BN after falling in love with the peppermint bristlenose.. But just wondering i cant sex them yet there a bit small still approx 3cm will they ever get on.. My common BN who ive had for 8 weeks chases my peppermint will they eventually establish their own territories? I added a second driftwood one at either end of the tank its a 4foot 75g tank... Im assuming this is normal BN behaviour?? Should i be adding zuchinni in 2 different spots or will they eventually eat together given time to sort out pecking order? Ive seen people with 2 or more BNs eating 1 zuchinni so im assuming they just need time to work things out??

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Having more than 1 Pleco per tank can be hit or miss. I have 1 Bristle Nose Pleco @ 4" and I have a Sail Fin Pleco @ 12". They get along just fine and share the slice of zucchini. The more hiding spots you can provide the better the chances of both of them surviving.

I have moved your thread to Catfish/Pleco section of the forum.

Ken

3. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

Until they get used to each other I would probably add a second veggie, just to ward off potential issues for the time being.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

Actually now ive had a closer look at the peppermint BN i can already see some bristles forming but on my common BN i cant see any.. How big/old do they need to be before you can sex them accurately?

5. Redshark1Fishlore VIPMember

My fry were 4cm before I could properly sex them but it varies. Some develop earlier some develop later.

One I thought must be female disappeared and when I next saw it there were lots of babies in the tank and he was sporting bristles!

I have too many for territorial disputes to be meaningful. They are in a 6ft aquarium with lots of algae, more than they can eat (Bristlenose heaven!). I have got used to having algae on my wood and no longer see it as a bad thing. It's just like nature, right?

6. Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

Peppermints are so pretty

Attached Files:

7. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

They really are gorgeous plecos, I'll agree with you there :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app