Help 2 black neon tetras dead

SamanthaJane

Active Member
Member
Messages
74
Reaction score
33
Experience
1 year
Hello, today I woke up only to realize 2 of my black neon tetras are dead.
They were pretty big and fat, when one of them died i suspected death of natural causes since it is a big female that looks a few years old. However 2 of them appeared dead.
The only suspscion I have is a white skirt tetra that nibbled on his partner, which made me put the injured white skirt tetra in a quarantine tank. Could it be the white skirt tetra has now moved on to nibble on black neon tetras? Or is it something else?

Water parameters attached
 

Attachments

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Member
Messages
685
Reaction score
429
Location
Canada
Experience
5 to 10 years
What size tank do you have? Who is all in the tank? It doesn't look water related. What's your feeding schedule?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
SamanthaJane

SamanthaJane

Active Member
Member
Messages
74
Reaction score
33
Experience
1 year
Ghelfaire said:
What size tank do you have? Who is all in the tank? It doesn't look water related. What's your feeding schedule?
Hello, it's a 30 gallon tank. There used to be 10 black neons now there's 8, w white skirt tetra, they fought now one is in quarantine. 2 Indian glass fish, 2 guppies and a dojo loach.
I feed flakes twice a day, i sometimes feed dried blood worms and the occasional zucchini.
 

JettsPapa

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,697
Reaction score
4,198
Location
Grimes County, Texas
Experience
Just started
It's possible that the skirt tetra did that. All tetras are shoaling fish, and should be kept in groups so they have more fish to focus their attention on. Six is often used as a minimum number, but more is always better. I'd suggest getting more of them to spread out their attention, or give the two you have to someone that already has some.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
SamanthaJane

SamanthaJane

Active Member
Member
Messages
74
Reaction score
33
Experience
1 year
JettsPapa said:
It's possible that the skirt tetra did that. All tetras are shoaling fish, and should be kept in groups so they have more fish to focus their attention on. Six is often used as a minimum number, but more is always better. I'd suggest getting more of them to spread out their attention, or give the two you have to someone that already has some.
I have ready separated them. I'll be looking around for white skirt tetras to add to the group. Thank you so much!
 

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Member
Messages
685
Reaction score
429
Location
Canada
Experience
5 to 10 years
SamanthaJane said:
I have ready separated them. I'll be looking around for white skirt tetras to add to the group. Thank you so much!
Black skirt tetras and glo tetras are the same species. If you can't find white skirts the others will school with your 1. As long as you don't mind them being a different color.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
220
Guests online
3,355
Total visitors
3,575

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom