2 Betta In Divided 5 Gallon Tank?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Kaylee, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Kaylee

KayleeNew MemberMember

I currently have one betta and a snail in a 5 gallon filtered and heated tank. He really only stays on one side of the tank. Would it be okay if I divided the tank and added another betta (and possibly snail)?

Attached Files:

2. Caitlin86

Caitlin86Well Known MemberMember

is ur tank cycled...wut r ur parameters?

3. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I recommend 5 gallons minimum for a betta. I wouldn't divide a tank less than 20 gallons. Odd that he stays on one side of the tank. Does he look healthy? Maybe you don't have enough hiding places for him? My betta is very active.

4. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_Well Known MemberMember

Looks like you've got a bow front tank, those are difficult to divide but you could try it. Personally I think a 5 gallon is quite small to divide, especially since bettas need horizontal space more than vertical. Your Betta would probably be happier alone. However, if you do decide to go this route, make a strong, stable divider or two for extra security that have small holes and put decorations on either side so the bettas can't see each other very well.
    Good luck if you decide to go this route!

5. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

I wouldn't do it! If you take your measurements, a standard 2.5 gallon would have more area than if you split the 5 gallon.

Plus as mentioned 5 gallon is best for a betta!

Which side does he stay on? It might be the filter? I would suggest adding live plants which will most likely allure him to swim all over the place. Sometimes bettas when they get bored they will just stay in one area

6. OP
    OP
    Kaylee

KayleeNew MemberMember

He always stays at the top left right next to the filter. I'll get some live plants, thanks!

I've had him for a year and he looks healthy to me. His looks have not changed. He has plenty of hiding spaces (I've added more since the picture) but he likes staying at the top next to the filter.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2017
  7. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I'd add a bit more cover and plants and see what happens.

8. Caitlin86

Caitlin86Well Known MemberMember

I agree with what the others have stated. I have a 10g divided tank housing 2 bettas (that were gifted 2 me in bowls for my 3 and 4 year old..i rehoused them in a 10 gallon as it was all I could afford) and im telling u if i wasnt gifted these fish I would of only got one. No need to make things more difficult 4 urself or ur betta!

9. OP
    OP
    Kaylee

KayleeNew MemberMember

I agree, thanks!

10. ashenwelt

ashenweltWell Known MemberMember

So I persoonally don't like divided fives. One of the big issues is that it is really hard to keep good water quality in a 2.5 gallon. If you decide to divide anyways... please consider using more of a mesh divider so that the water quality is more stable.

The other issue is simply that Bettas are inquisitive... giving somethibgv to check out, swim under or through etc. is important.

11. Cycerath

CycerathValued MemberMember

i have a 3 gallon tank for one of my bettas. i have it near my computer, he loves to rest on his marimo balls and watch tv shows with me. if you provide a part of their entertainment then it might work towards keeping them happy (but not always ideal). mines like a little puppy dog :happy:

12. CHoman

CHomanValued MemberMember

Looks like it's been said above, but I agree with the others and don't think a 5 should be divided, especially since it looks like that's a taller 5 gallon.

Do you change his setup often? It looks like most of your hiding places or decor are all at the bottom only and nothing at the top. Does he hang out on the actual filter? Bettas like to be closer to the surface of the water, so the betta hammocks are a very popular item to have.

I have a ton of live plants in different heights and my betta is constantly swimming through the leaves and exploring. If you don't move things around, they get bored quickly. I'd change up your decor and add some tall plants and see if that changes him :)