2 baby Mollies sharing tank with a Betta(temporarily)

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by mickeyrom, Apr 21, 2012.

1. mickeyrom

mickeyromValued MemberMember

I was desperate.My female Molly had two surviving babies.I knew that one could tun out to be a male in which case it would eventually breed and I would be overrun with Mollies.This was almost a month ago.I put the two babies in the 5 gallon tank until I can sex them.Then they will be kept only with Mollies of the same sex.The point of this is that there has been no serious attempt by the Betta to attack them.He is much slower than the small Mollies.I understand that until a certain age they all look like females.Is this factual? I read on another site that they will show their true gender at approx 3 months of age.Is this true? I do not want to breed anything.Once the Mollies die,there will not be any more.

2. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hi mickey, I have moved your thread to the Aquarium Stocking Questions forum. Hopefully you'll get better responses. Cheers Ryan.

3. OP
    OP
    mickeyrom

Thank you Ryan.I apologize.I am just not very good at navigating this site which BTW I think is the best aquarium/fish site on the internet.

Allan Birmantas

4. Fish MongerValued MemberMember

Well, I've read that female live bearers can store sperm for quite a while and have babies over a long period. I've also read that they can actually change sexes to make up for imbalances in the population. If you're not looking to breed anything, live bearers are pretty tricky.

5. OP
    OP
    mickeyrom

It's a long story and I won't bore you on how we got the Mollies,but they were originally sold to us as White Cloud Mountain Minnows.Right now we have two really gorgeous black males, and the white mother of the said babies.They are in separate tanks.The mom fish shows no sign of pregnancy,but I will be watching all of them all very carefully.I hope I can defeat mother nature as far as the sex change goes.Hopefully they will just become gay.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice