2 Aqua Clear 50s 1 On Each Side Of 60 Gallon?

AmnScott

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ideally with HOB filters you want your filter(s) to process the water in the tank 7 to 10 times in an hour. So, with a 60 gallon tank, you want a gph range of 420 to 600. With two AC 50s, you have a combined gph of 400 (slightly under 7x turnover rate). Realistically, you're probably fine. Unless your tank is heavily stocked or overstocked, I think two AC 50s will get the job done in your 60 gallon. What is your bio-load?

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I have a few tanks with filters on the side, however, you will need to figure out a way to place your lighting so the filter fits... unfortunately sometimes the filter is too wide and there is no room for the lighting...

Agreed on more gph needed... I would go for either 2 ac 70s, or even a 110 and a 50/70/110. The 110 is large....

OP
C

canadian92

Reaction score
Mike1995 said:
why would a 110 be too large?
The 110 will cause to much flow on a 60 gallon don't you think ?

Jocelyn Adelman said:
So I have a few tanks with filters on the side, however, you will need to figure out a way to place your lighting so the filter fits... unfortunately sometimes the filter is too wide and there is no room for the lighting...

Agreed on more gph needed... I would go for either 2 ac 70s, or even a 110 and a 50/70/110. The 110 is large....
I have 2 AC70s now with just 1 hooked up at the moment in the middle of the tank. I would like to put 1 on each end but when I had the other hooked up it was to much flow and current. It was like making the fish swim on a tredmill that never stopped

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You can add a prefilter, sometimes helps decrease the flow a bit. Also you can try a baffle....

New Threads