2 Angels or 5 Congo tetras?

1. Amyzes Initiate Member

I feel like this is an either or question.

30 gallon tank with a 65g rated external canister filter. Working on getting the tank heavily planted. Once it is planted I will add more fish.

Currently in the tank:
    6 longfin leopard danios
    1 yoyo loach (cute now but will eventually outgrow this tank)

Here are the other fish I plan on:
    6 panda cory
    1 albino Royal Farlowella (also might eventually outgrow this tank)

I tend to love bottom feeders and so I will add some branch "shelves" to increase "bottom" tank areas in the back of the tank.

My question is should I add a blue angel and a coy angel or a small school of Congo tetras?

Thanks for any advice
    Amy

2. octavio Member Member

If you're into cichlids and cichid behavior, go for Angel Fish. If not, Congo Tetras are very beautiful.

3. Pikachu13131 Member Member

I wouldn't do angels in a 30 I'd say a 40 long minimum.get 6 congo tetras you need 6 or they will be stressed.

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Angels aren't temp compatible with danios or pandas. The tank isn't large enough for Congo tetras.

So neither.

I also wouldn't add a royal farlowella to this tank - they get too large.

When are you rehoming the yoyo loach? I'd do it sooner rather than later. They need to be in groups, and a group won't fit in your tank. He'll be stressed as long as he's alone.

Rather than 5 panda cories, I'd add 8-10. They'll appreciate the additional individuals.

What about something like this?

6-8x Danios
    8-10x Panda cories
    1x Bolivian ram
    1x Dwarf gourami or 1-4x Honey gourami
    8-10x Harlequin rasbora or neon tetra (or other temp compatible small schooling species)

5. Pikachu13131 Member Member

I think you should go with harliquins they are hardier than neons.

6. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with TD, also you could do Danio albolineatus as a schooling fish.

7. TwoTonedTanker Member Member

Angels!!!

Go for angels

8. Pikachu13131 Member Member

The angels and the other fish need diffrent temperatures and a 30 is to small for angels in my opinion.

9. Amyzes Initiate Member

Hi all,
    Thanks for all the replies and advice!
    Rethinking this tank,

How about:
    8 panda Cory
    6 Kuhli loach
    1 Royal Farlowella
    1 German blue ram
    1 pearl leeri

Aqadvisor says to keep this tank at 26 degrees and that it is 83% stocked

10. BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

Aquaadvisor is not accurate. There is a lot it doesn't take into account. But will say it's good go generalization. Anders247 and TexasDomer are very good at stocking.

11. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Again, no royal Farlowella as they get too large.

Panda cories aren't temp compatible with GBRs, and I don't think you have enough room in this tank for both cories and kuhlis. I'd pick one or the other.

What's the length of this tank?

12. Pikachu13131 Member Member

Are you ok with most of those fish being bottom dwellers?I think you should get some tetras instead of the pearl leeri and the royale farlowell.i f you want Cory's get sterbai or bronze Cory's they can be in warmer water.

13. Amyzes Initiate Member

Ok, the tank is 30 inches by 30 inches.
    I really like bottom feeders for some reason. I was thinking that Kuhli loaches are mostly nocturnal so they could get along with panda cory fish- do corys not rest at night?

Back to the drawing board-
    12 Kuhli loaches
    I'm not sure what else.

I'm nervous about cichlid fish because I have heard they are quite mean.
    I don't like the leopard danios, I think I will rehome them. For some reason I just don't care for schools of small top to mid fish, which makes me think one or two 3 inch "centerpeice" fish?
    Sailfin Mollys
    I do think Kuhli loaches like dither fish though- could panda Cory suit that role?
    Argh stocking is so hard.

14. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

30 inches long and 30 inches wide? How tall? That's more than 30 gals... Can you remeasure and make sure you're measuring inches?

Panda cories aren't dither fish - they stay on the bottom. Depending on your tank's footprint, kuhlis and cories probably won't work.

What about 3-4x male sailfin mollies and either 12x kuhlis or 8-10x cories?

15. Amyzes Initiate Member

So sorry! It is 30 long by 12 wide , 30 gallons
    I've been reading about the Mollys and I'm not sure this tank is big enough for them either

16. Amyzes Initiate Member

Ok, how peaceful really are pearl leeris? What about:
    12 Kuhli loaches,
    1-2 pearl leeris,
    And the danios (6) can stay?- or maybe turquoise guppies?

I do have a grow lamp so I might add a water Lilly or two to diffuse the light in the front swimming area.

17. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

You could do a few mollies.

I wouldn't add pearl gouramis - they need a longer tank.

What about this:

12x Kuhli loaches
    8-10x Danios
    1x Dwarf gourami or 1-4x Honey gourami or 3x Male mollies

18. Amyzes Initiate Member

Thanks, I know a 30 gallon is limiting. What would you add if you wanted something that is either really pretty or really strange looking or otherwise fun to watch?

19. Pikachu13131 Member Member

You can have a African butterfly fish since all you fish are bottom dwellers it wont eat them.

20. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

As much as I loved my African butterfly fish, they don't do much. Don't expect them to be active or to see a lot of them. Mine rested in the floating plants and only cruised around during feeding time.