Question 2 Ac 110 Or 1 Canister And 2 Heaters For 75 Gallon Tank?

BlueLiner

Reaction score
I just got a 75 gallon tank and will begin getting supplies soon. I wasn't sure which would be better 2 Aqua Clear 110 HOBs (have a AC 70 on my 40 gallon) or 1 canister. It seems like the 2 HOBs would be around the same price as a Fluval 406 canister but the total flow rate on AC would probably be better.

I just wasn't sure if one way is better than the other?

Also, would 2 heaters (either 200w or 300w) be the best option to get uniform heat through the tank?

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What do you plan on stocking the tank with?

I have a 75g with a FX4 and 406. It's overkill but I have a lot of fish in the tank.

What is the ambient room temp? What is your target temp? I have a 250w Aqueon Pro and that works great for 5-10°F above ambient room temp. Aqueon Pros now come in 300w but the new versions aren't as good as the older Pros, IMO.

Morpheus1967

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, I have 2 canisters on my 75. Each one is fully capable of servicing the tank by itself. But I get peace of mind in case one breaks down. Plus, I stagger the cleanings so only one filter is taken apart and cleaned at a time. Two weeks later, I do the other one.

BlueLiner

Reaction score
It will be a basic community tank most likely. I don't plan on overstocking it or having a ton in there (though who knows what happens in the future). I'll also have some live plants.

Room temperature is around 68-72 in the winter though in the summer it gets warmer. Target temp will probably be around 77.

I like the idea of 2 canisters but that would be a little pricey right now since I'm having to buy everything. Maybe an option would be the 2 HOBs for now and then remove 1 HOB and get a canister down the road then do the same a few months after that and run 2 canisters. I like the idea of having 2 in case there is a problem and to stagger the cleanings.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
On my 75g, I use a single Aqueon Pro 250watt.

Lowest the room gets in the winter might be 68f.

I keep it right in the middle of the back wall and it seems to work well in my application application. I have a thermometer on both the left and right side walls, and their temps always match.

Even with a community tank stocked on the heavy side, an AC70 + AC110 should work just fine.

That is what I have on mine.

The only reason I added a canister was because of the opportunity to buy it on clearance for 50% off. My intention was to initially run it then transfer it to a future tank build, but my next large tank hasnt happened yet!

2x AC110's may actually hold more media than a Fluval 406.

Here is a pic of how I had stuffed my AC110 last year.

Most of the background noise you can hear is from my air pump, plus an AC70 is running out of view. So it's not as noisy as it appears in the video

Here is a link to my write up on the AC110.

Also, you may want to consider Seachem Tidal HOB's.

Kensfish.com has the Tidal 110 on sale for $62. Usually they are over $85.

BlueLiner

Reaction score
That looks great islandvic.

I do like the idea of having a canister + a HOB as a backup so eventually I'll go that route unless I can find a deal on a canister. One of the reasons I wanted 2 heaters in case one failed. Biggest fear is overheating though so I might get a temperature controller for the heaters. If that happens to fail, I can hopefully rely on the heaters themselves.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Backup filters aren't necessary. Once a tank is established for a few months, there's enough BB in the tank gravel and surfaces that not having a filter running for a few hours/days won't make a difference. An airstone would help though.

I really like the older style Aqueon Pros. I have the 250w next to the intake of my FX4 to circulate the heat better. I do that in almost all my tanks. I would recommend looking for old stock of the old Pro version (250w is the highest they made). If not, the 300w Pro new version should be ok but keep and eye on the temp as you adjust. I have 3 100w Pros (new version) and they seem to be a few degrees lower than my older ones.

BlueLiner

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll see if I can hunt down an older model Aqueon Pro heater.

I happened to be browsing Facebook Marketplace for an FX4 and found an FX6 (< 6 months old) for $150. Seems like way overkill for a 75 gallon though and I worry the flow would be too much?

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a Fluval 406 on my 75.

Just to point this out, gallons per hour between canisters and hang in backs are not equal. Canisters have no overflow and go through a lot more media, so they’re a lot more efficient in terms of gallons per hour.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks! I'll see if I can hunt down an older model Aqueon Pro heater.

I happened to be browsing Facebook Marketplace for an FX4 and found an FX6 (< 6 months old) for $150. Seems like way overkill for a 75 gallon though and I worry the flow would be too much?
If you can find the older version, they're usually cheaper too.

Again, it depends on your stock. I have EBAs, rainbows, denison barbs, SAEs, BN pleco and corydoras so the extra flow isn't really an issue for them in my tank. The FX6 has bigger output nozzles than the FX4 so I'm guessing the flow wouldn't be much faster than the FX4 but there will be more volume.

You should also consider how much power the canister will consume. A 406 uses 23w, FX4 uses 30w and FX6 uses 43w.

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I was going to buy a Fluval 406 for my 75G but was persuaded to get a Forza FZ9 by a few people at one of my fish stores. It's about the same price, but it has a UV sterilizer. You can get the same version without the UV sterilizer for a little less, but I recommend spending the extra few dollars.

In my experience with 3 tanks (2 with AquaClear HOB and 1 with canister), the canisters are much more efficient and keep the tank cleaner. Reasons:
1. The intake tube can be set closer to the ground, picking up all sorts of debris a HOB won't reach.
2. WAAAAYYY more media to catch gunk. I clean my HOB filters every week or two, but only clean my canister every 4 - 6 weeks.
3. No overflow at the max setting. So being rated for 450 GPH is a true 450 gallons per hour.
4. You can use the outtake tube to create an optimal current for your tank. HOBs only create a waterfall you can't adjust.

They'll both keep a tank perfectly cycled, but the canisters are definitely better for large tanks like a 75 gallon.

And two tips for a canister filter:
1. Point the outtake tube slightly up and it will keep your water oxygenated
2. READ THE INSTURCTIONS. These filters are pressurized and opening them the wrong way can launch water into every section of your house!!!

TetraKing101

Valued Member
Reaction score
It will be a basic community tank most likely. I don't plan on overstocking it or having a ton in there (though who knows what happens in the future). I'll also have some live plants.

Room temperature is around 68-72 in the winter though in the summer it gets warmer. Target temp will probably be around 77.

I like the idea of 2 canisters but that would be a little pricey right now since I'm having to buy everything. Maybe an option would be the 2 HOBs for now and then remove 1 HOB and get a canister down the road then do the same a few months after that and run 2 canisters. I like the idea of having 2 in case there is a problem and to stagger the cleanings.
I have a marine land 350 and a fluval 306 on my 65 gallon works great lots of flow. I would go with a Hob and a canister. I got my hob for 60 Canadian Dollars
And my canister was 259 and I got that on sale put it’s not to pricey for a 65 gallon tank filtration

BlueLiner

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I think i'm sold on getting a canister. Seems like it will be worth the investment in the long run and much more efficient for a 75g. If i can't find an older Aqueon Pro the Finnex looks like a good choice as well for a heater.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Petsmart usually has a sale on Fluval canisters every few months. The last sale just ended but the FX4 goes on sale for $199.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom