2.5g Betta Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by theroaringbear, Apr 19, 2017.

1. theroaringbear

theroaringbear Valued Member Member

Soo, my little sister wants a Betta fish, and I was going to just buy a small tank and the fish. But then I got to thinking, "I can do better than that."

Well, I saw a post about an algaescape with micro crabs, and I had the idea that I could perhaps do a tank with a carpet, a few crabs, and a Betta.

So, is this a good idea? What kind of substrate would be good to use? And are the crabs a good idea?

2. RyuMom

RyuMom New Member Member

I don't think the crabs would be a good idea. Considering that just dwarf crawfish antagonize and can tear up the delicate fins of your Beta, I'm sure the crabs would do the same.

3. OP
    OP
    theroaringbear

I read up on Thai micro crabs, and from what I saw, they're extremely peaceful, and also only about 1cm wide

4. RyuMom

RyuMom New Member Member

My understanding is that "if it's something that can snag or tear pantyhose, then it's something that can tear Beta fins". Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't chance it.

5. OP
    OP
    theroaringbear

I understand. I read that others have kept them together, and the Thais hid away the majority of the time. I may get some shrimp instead though. I just want something besides the betta

6. RyuMom

RyuMom New Member Member

I understand that! I have a 2.6 gal with 2 ghost shrimp, 1 amano, 1 Mystery snail and 2 nerites. I also had 2 cherry shrimp, but they have since disappeared. :-(

7. ashenwelt

ashenwelt Well Known Member Member

You may want to up to a 5 gallon. It gives you a lot more room to aquascape, and if you want shrimp or thai crabs.. they need a place to hide and avoid the betta. Be aware that they still may be lost ... but if the betta gets along with them it can be rewarding to have shrimp with your betta.

But don't ... please don't... put them in at the same time. Weakest creatures should always be acclimated first.

8. OP
    OP
    theroaringbear

I considered the 5 gallon, but with where it's going, I decided that the 2.5 would be better (plus, our mom wouldn't let her have my old 5g). I'm more just looking for tips now on how to grow a carpet of DHG or S. Repens or something.

9. Little Tank of Happiness

Little Tank of Happiness Well Known Member Member

Some great links on s. repens:
      (for aquascaping ideas and genaric facts)
      (facts but a bit more detailed)
    Starting carpets
    I couldn't find info on whether or not I am allowed to post from these forums so my bad if I am not!

Pretty sure micro sword makes carpets too so you may wanna check them out!

Note that a 5 gallon would allow you much more room to grow a carpet without constant maintainence or worrying about it over-running the tank.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  10. OP
    OP
    theroaringbear

I'll look into micro swords for it. I have a small patch in my 55g that hasn't taken off yet, so I might be able to use that

Amazon.com : Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum, 4.4-Pound : Pet Supplies
    do you think this would be a good substrate? Would it harm the fish?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice