2.5 Gallon Too Small For Rcs?

SpookaSpooka

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I guess the title says my question: can I have a small colony of rcs in a heavily planted 2.5? I've been finding mixed feedback on the internet so I decided to take the question here. (I couldn't get the search function to work either, so I apologise if this is a question that gets asked a lot). I just have two 2.5s sitting around my house and don't think they're great for fish but would love to have five or so shrimp to add nice contrast to the plants. Let me know if this is a good or a bad idea!

ThePuzzleMaker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It is not too small. Make sure it's heavily planted and it should be fine.
One consern could be that in smaller aquariums is hard to keep stable water parameters, but if you have that figured out then it's fine.
I'd recommend a 20% water change weekly (depends on the stocking of course).

This is my opinion, I don't know what other may think.

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
2.5 is a good size for rcs ^.^ since they are small and have a very low bioload, i think you can have more then five but not sure how many lol

SpookaSpooka

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It is not too small. Make sure it's heavily planted and it should be fine.
One consern could be that in smaller aquariums is hard to keep stable water parameters, but if you have that figured out then it's fine.
I'd recommend a 20% water change weekly (depends on the stocking of course).

This is my opinion, I don't know what other may think.
Yeah, I was a little concerned about water parameters, but I'm usually on top of my weekly water changes, so I should be okay, right?

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm planning on doing this too with a 2.6g once it's cycled and stable. I think I read 5 shrimp for every gallon of water somewhere in my research.

Paradise fish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The only problem is that shrimps breed. You can have up to 25 shrimp in there and it would be still considered understocked bio load wise, but once the shrimp start to breed and multiply, you're looking into over populating, which is a serious health and hygiene issue. I have a 7.5 gallon tank that had 15 shrimp in it, now 6 months later I have over a hundred with thirty breeding young adults.

But, this can be completely solved by getting only a few adults in the first place or getting all of only one gender. Infact, that's what I did in my mixed shrimp 2.7 gallon tank, having cherries, bloody mary, yellow neons, oranges, blue pearls, blue velvets, blue dreams, black roses, jades, carbon rilis, snowballs, and chocolates all being females. I really enjoyed and loved that tank.

Tomcat1972

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Overpopulating can be easy to fix with rcs. Just sell them on Craigslist if you get too many. Or if you have other aquariums you can always spread them around after they breed. Or just simply feed some of the babies to your other fish lol. Lots of ways to keep them from overpopulating a small tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom