2.5 gallon tank??

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
hello folks, Well I've tried and tried, but I can't stand it any longer, I need to get another betta!!! Here's my question for ya, I know that most folks here say that 5 gallons is the min for a betta. I know that ppl in here have betta's in smaller tanks, I'm thinking about getting a 2.5 gallon tank for my desk at work, and taking Grim and his 5 gallon tank home where we'll have a little more room. I'd put a female betta in the 2.5 gallon tank. What are the pros and cons to a smaller tank, and would a female betta be okay in one? I don't want to mistreat her by not giving her enough space, I just want a little more of my desk back! Thanks for the advice... I wanted to think this out before I did it!!

arfon

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi. i looked a similar question up for a friend recently and came across this - The beauty about betta fish is that they don’t need a large tank to survive, they can cope quite well in a small bowl or those hexagonal fish tanks with no requirement for a filtration/aeration system running. This is because betta fish can live in water with low oxygen content after all, they did originate from the rice paddies of Thailand and Malaya. Keep them in a warm area – they are tropical fish! Whilst I did keep my betas in little jam jars, now that I am older and wiser, I find it rather cruel to keep them in anything smaller than a small gold fish bowl

The advantage of keeping your bettas in a tank rather than a bowl is that you can now decorate his surroundings and the likelihood of him getting sick from you neglecting to change his water often enough is smaller. And there are some betta owners who will swear that having a tank system with a full on filtration system running does seem to make for a happier fish. Contrary to popular belief, you can keep betta fish with other fish, just not another betta! That way you can really see the full splendor of your betta when it’s ‘flaring’ his fins and carrying on! ' im not an expert on this nor have i kept bettas' just going by what i looked up. hope its of some use. cheers.

Neville

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
u can buy a 5 gallon tank, the price is almost same i think...........well, for a 2.5 gallon tank u have to perform aquarium maintenance more often, u have to perform frequent water changes.

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
arfon, I'm afraid I and all the other regulars here would have to disagree with you. Bettas are NOT happy in bowls. No fish should ever be kept in a bowl. A human could live their entire life living in a small closet too but it wouldn't be a happy life. The Bettas we all get in the petstores did not come from a rice paddy. They were born in tanks and this type of Betta is not even found in the wild. Wild Bettas are much bigger with small fins and don't live in the rice paddies but jump from one to another looking for food and live in the rivers and ponds attached to the rice fields. It is all part of a much larger ecosystem unlike a bowl which is a toxic environment full of ammonia within hours of being cleaned.  A filtered, heated and fully cycled tank approx 5+ gallons is the LEAST these beautiful fish deserve.  While they do breathe atmospheric air they do still need an airstone running as the warmer water they are kept in doesn't hold much oxygen.
They do not get along with most other fish. They can be kept with a few species like Cory Catfish or Otos but generally fish that swim at the same level as they do shouldn't be kept with Bettas. Sometimes the Betta will fight with them but more often the other fish will nip his fins or bully him. They are quite happy being alone in a nice large clean tank with plants and caves to explore.
Constant flaring is very stressful for a Betta and will soon give them a heart attack. I've seen Bettas die this way in stores from flaring at the fish next to them. It's a very sad sight!

Timesdragonfly:
A female Betta would be okay in that size tank. Why not consider getting the Eclipse 3 gallon? It's small and has a great built in filter. The biggest problem with smaller tanks is that it's harder to maintain a steady temp as they can overheat easier but it should be okay.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Phloxface said:
arfon, I'm afraid I and all the other regulars here would have to disagree with you. Bettas are NOT happy in bowls. No fish should ever be kept in a bowl. A human could live their entire life living in a small closet too but it wouldn't be a happy life. The Bettas we all get in the petstores did not come from a rice paddy. They were born in tanks and this type of Betta is not even found in the wild. Wild Bettas are much bigger with small fins and don't live in the rice paddies but jump from one to another looking for food and live in the rivers and ponds attached to the rice fields. It is all part of a much larger ecosystem unlike a bowl which is a toxic environment full of ammonia within hours of being cleaned. A filtered, heated and fully cycled tank approx 5+ gallons is the LEAST these beautiful fish deserve. While they do breathe atmospheric air they do still need an airstone running as the warmer water they are kept in doesn't hold much oxygen.
They do not get along with most other fish. They can be kept with a few species like Cory Catfish or Otos but generally fish that swim at the same level as they do shouldn't be kept with Bettas. Sometimes the Betta will fight with them but more often the other fish will nip his fins or bully him. They are quite happy being alone in a nice large clean tank with plants and caves to explore.
Constant flaring is very stressful for a Betta and will soon give them a heart attack. I've seen Bettas die this way in stores from flaring at the fish next to them. It's a very sad sight!
I agree with phloxface -- When we first got a Betta, i researched the natural environment of wild Bettas and found articles showing these huge fields like some lake with grass in it.. the article said the water tended to be about 11" or so deep and that was just the rice fields (or rice paddies) and yet most LFS/Pet store people are like "they naturally like in little shallow mud puddles". Well, if that's a little puddle, then the entire Smithsonian is a broom closet, the Grand Canyon is a pothole, etc! So they instinctively like to have some room to stretch their fins.

We do have our Angel is a 5 gallon hex (was a sort of spare tank but when she picked me out, it ended up becoming her home for now) and we'd still like to get her into a 10 gallon when we have a place for it. (and the money to get the thing & have it setup) The one thing all our Bettas seem to have in common, aside from a deep LOVE of food , is swimming as far as they can without coming to a wall. Often we'll see them doing laps in the back of the tank from one end to the other for long periods of time. I know desk space is limited and the 2.5 gallon looks nice for a Betta, but it really seems to me like something you might use for a q. tank or something, not for long-term.

On tankmates - we did keep our 1st Betta in a tank with some Platys, but even though they tolerated each other, we felt like the Betta just wasn't happy & put him into a seperate tank after less than a week and he definitely was a lot happier on his own. Every Betta's different, but most seem to AT BEST not be happy with tankmates other than corys & otos. Our bettas all don't seem to mind the corys & Sora even seems to miss his. Sora's the only one who can have any now that the others have developed a love of the corys food and we don't want to risk overfeeding.

Your 5-gal at the office is a hex tank, right?

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes, the 5 allon is a hex tank. The problem is that it sticks out to far. A longer but thinner tank would be better.

antisen

Valued Member
Reaction score
I know the problem exactly as I have a hex 5 myself on my computer desk and had to actually buy a smaller computer monitor to have room to do any work on it! I agree with Rose though, the Eclipse 3 is only a tiiiny bit bigger than a 2.5 and maintains itself more easily. That'd be my suggestion!

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have the eclipse 3 for my hosp/q-tank. I love it it's great. It's the perfect size and doesn't take up much room at all. The only thing I don't like about it is you have to take the lid off or pick it up a little to feed the fish which is kind of a pain. It doesn't have a little door on it for feeding like the hex 5 does. Other then that it's a great little tank. Natalie

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Neptune has an Eclipse 6 and it is the perfect size for us. It comes with a carbon & bio filter, flourescent light, and I bought a stealth heater which works perfectly. It is compact, since it sits right in the kitchen, (so he can keep his eyes on the action and know when to show off - LOL). It has kind of a bowed front. I wanted a 10 G but really had no place to put it and this is a workable compromise, without Neptune having to suffer. He does laps in this thing all the time. I don't think it would be too big for a desk since it doesn't protrude as much as a Hex 5. Happy hunting! Val

arfon

Valued Member
Reaction score
thats why i left this -' im not an expert on this nor have i kept bettas' just going by what i looked up. it was what i read on a web page. i would not keep any fish myself in a small tank.

Icicle

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think keeping any fish in bowls is cruel. And even worse, those little betta packs they sell specifically for bettas. It makes me upset to see them.
Just because something CAN be done, doesn't mean it SHOULD be done.
Just because you CAN put a betta in something like that doesn't mean you SHOULD. I'm sure all of us here would be against it, poor little things.

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... thank you everyone for the food for thought.
I do believe I'll stick with the five gallon that I have, though I'll look into the eclipse 6... it's the shape that's the problem, not really the size.

Also, do they make a stand for the five gallon hex tank? I have a corner I could put it in, if I could find a nice stand (maybe with a drawer or shelf to put fish supplies in).Then I'd have my whole desk back and the fish would still have the room it needs!
~J~

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Why not buy a microwave stand? I was thinking of getting one for my Hex tank too. It would hold the tank and have a cupboard underneath for fish supplies. They are pretty small too and not too expensive. Fish stands from the pet stores are expensive and not really any better than a microwave stand. A good strong night stand would do too. That's where my tank is now.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Icicle said:
I think keeping any fish in bowls is cruel. And even worse, those little betta packs they sell specifically for bettas. It makes me upset to see them.
Just because something CAN be done, doesn't mean it SHOULD be done.
Just because you CAN put a betta in something like that doesn't mean you SHOULD. I'm sure all of us here would be against it, poor little things.
You mean those cups, they stick a happy betta picture on & call a 'tank'? those things are so pathetic.. for 25 cents you can get a bigger container in the kitchen dept and give the little betta as cruel of a home. we opened one up and it had this pointless grill for on the bottom, about an ounce of gravel and the tiniest plastic ****-plant you ever saw.. not only would a betta be sad & depressed in one of those, but how could the owner enjoy even a fraction of what a Betta has to offer when it can barely turn around.. i feel like breaking them all when i see them on the shelf. what they should put on the box is a picture of a limp, miserable betta behind iron bars.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Timesdragonfly said:
Hmmm... thank you everyone for the food for thought.
I do believe I'll stick with the five gallon that I have, though I'll look into the eclipse 6... it's the shape that's the problem, not really the size.

Also, do they make a stand for the five gallon hex tank? I have a corner I could put it in, if I could find a nice stand (maybe with a drawer or shelf to put fish supplies in).Then I'd have my whole desk back and the fish would still have the room it needs!
~J~
It's kind of crazy, but we have a 5 gallon hex on top of a towel cabinet we got at target.. fits perfectly and we have the shelves inside for storing food & supplies - a lot like the microwave stand phloxface mentioned. really anything the right size that holds the weight should work.

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
A microwave stand would be too big for my office. I was thinking that if there was a stand made for the hex five, it would fit perfectly in the one corner I have free. I'm seriouse, my office is the size of a closet. Infact, I've seen bigger closets!

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe you could have someone build one for you? It wouldn't have to be fancy and you could specify the size exactly. Just make sure it's a solid base and not just some wobbly legs that could tip over.

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
As others have said.. a 5 gallon would probably run you the same amount as a 2.5gallon would.. maybe even cheaper if you go to walmart.
However if you are limited on space... 2.5 gallons should be fine so long as you don't overdo decor to give the betta room to swim around.
Still put enough in there to give them places to explore though

GL with whatever you decide to do!

Shastam

Reaction score
I have Samson in a 2.5 hex right now and he's actually very happy. But after being stuffed in a cup at petco, I'm sure anything is better! I picked up an eclipse 5 for him, but when I was in petco looking to see what they had, I noticed that they do actually make rectangular 5.5 tanks. That may fit better for you. Of course those don't have tops or anything else, but they are really cheap.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Shastam said:
I have Samson in a 2.5 hex right now and he's actually very happy. But after being stuffed in a cup at petco, I'm sure anything is better! I picked up an eclipse 5 for him, but when I was in petco looking to see what they had, I noticed that they do actually make rectangular 5.5 tanks. That may fit better for you. Of course those don't have tops or anything else, but they are really cheap.
Can you find a decoration like: or ? Or some sort of decoration that would be safe for his fins that he could play with, like a cave or something to swim around/through? Maybe a live plant or 2? Depending on what you like & what fits, you can make a 2.5 gallon that he'll enjoy while you enjoy watching him play.. your 2.5 gallon is like our 5 gallon hex for Angel, we have to think vertical with decor. Good luck with whatever you decide to put in it & be sure to post a pic or 2 for us to see Samson in his new home.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom