Help 2.5 gallon tank first time saltwater

Daac

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, I want to have a saltwater tank and I have done lots of research. I am planning on making a stand out of wood for the 2.5 gallon tank that I have. I will make it so there is enough room under the tank for a pretty good sized sump so the water params will be stable-maybe like 5 or so gallons in a bucket or some other container that I can find. I plan on having all equipment and everything in the sump because the tank is so small. Now do you think this setup with some live rock and maybe a shrimp and a few snails would work? If so what are some different types of shrimp and snails good for beginners and that would fit in a 2.5 gallon tank? Thanks

Daac

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, I looked at the Nassaris Snail and I think it could be ok in that tank... Could anyone agree or disagree with this? Are there any other different inverts I could put in a 2.5 gallon tank? Any corals? Anything that would fit and is ok for a beginner would be great!

v369

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
couple options ...

sea monkeys and salt water ostracods, and some tiger pods?(huge fan of tiny inverts!)

a single mantis shrimp, a golfball sized peice of live rock, and some calpuerta algae?

a single damsel, peice of liverock, a bristle worm and some isopods and gammerus?

Daac

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, I will look all of those things up because I don't know what they are but I do know that bristle worms are really creepy freak things that neither I nor my family would want in the house lol.

Daac

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, I liked the damselfish idea but the fish profiles on here said that they all need at least 30 gallons. I only have 2.5, not 25 if that is what you thought unless there is a really small fish that doesn't move at all that is called a damsel. Other than that I liked the Gammarus. Any other ideas?

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think some of the answers on here are sarcastic. No way you put a damsel in a 2.5. And I'm not sure how you're going to have a sump with a 2.5, either. Using the overflow would probably cost you about a half gallon out of your display tank, and even with a five gallon sump your water parameters are going to be way delicate. You'll still have to do water changes every three days. Sounds like you're doing a lot of work for very little options.

Like lipadj suggested, check out craigslist. Or, for the money that you're spending, get a ten or twenty gallon starter package at petsmart. You can probably get away with some hermit crabs and maybe an ocellaris clown (though others will flame you if you admit to doing that. Shhh!).

Daac

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok haha thanks. Yeah this just goes to show you how little I know about saltwater in spite of all my research. Thanks but I don't think my parents would go for yet another tank in the house. The 2.5 is currently freshwater so I would be just switching it over to saltwater... Thanks though. I'll talk to them and see if we can work out a deal.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom