2.5 gallon sump

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by atmmachine816, Mar 26, 2006.

1. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

Ok I think I will try to make my sisters empty 2.5 gallon tank as a sump filter for my 29 gallon. Anybody have any ideas on how to make one. I figure if I get maybe 1/2" piping to bring the water down and I suck on it to get the suction started but how would I bring the water back to the top and what is a way to make sure if there is a power failure that all the water doesnt just spill out on the floor?

Thanks

Austin

2. JonWell Known MemberMember

All the water cant spill to the floor because the overflows only can drain the water that comes back into the tank.

The overflows skim out the top layer of water and it gets piped down to your sump where X happens to it and you need a pump to get it back. Do you really need a sump on a 29 G? What would u put in your sump? Do you have an in sump filter or protein skimmer? I dont see why you would need one and its kind of a hassle if it unnecessary.

3. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

It's called EXTRA filteration since angels are pretty messy and it's somthing I can do to make my tank better. So far a guy on another forum is helping me out he is going to give me an overflow box. So the water will flow into the overflow box into the other compartment down the tube into the sump with some sort of filteration, into the other chambe, sucked up by a powerhead and pushed back into the tank through a tube. How does it sound to you?

Austin

4. JonWell Known MemberMember

thats the way most sumps are... just kind of unnecessary to have a sump on a 29 gallon... there arent many in sump forms of filtration for tanks that small. GL it'll prolly be a bit o' work have fun

5. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

Well what's wrong with giving your fish the best care they can get?

6. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Absolutely nothing! I think it's great you're trying a different kind of filter.

7. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

Ya but I would keep both running which = crystal clear water

8. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Yes that's what I meant, an new filter in addition to the one you already have. Man, your fishies will be spoiled! ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice