2.5 Gallon: Red Cherry Shrimp Breeding

1. cameronpalte Member Member

I am interested in breeding some red cherry shrimp and selling them, obviously I won't get a lot of profit, but I'm hoping to be able to get some money which I will probably put to getting more fish tanks or supplies for my fish. I currently have a 2.5 gallon tank, but can upgrade them as I grow, so I am wonderin ghow hard is it to take care of them, breed them, and how many can fit in a 2.5g tank. I am hoping if the business grows some, I can also save up a little bit of money for getting a 5g tank or larger to help increase the business:). Hopefully this can grow to a low stable income so I can upgrade and get more fish tanks (currently working on a 55g which is my main priority. Thanks ahead.

2. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Although you can grow RCS in a 2.5 gallon tank, that's not very large. If I were you, I'd make the investment into a 10 gallon. Before you start on this little adventure, you might want to find out what the market for RCS is near you. Frankly, if you have to save money for a 5 gallon tank, then it's possible that breeding any species for profit is not for you.

3. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

I have RCS in a 2.5G tank. Started with 12 last January. They are breeding so fast that I am upgrading them to a 5G later this month. Most are still too small to sell still and I am concerned with overcrowding as I now have around 60 shrimp.

4. cameronpalte Member Member

I was actually thinking rather than selling them to local LFS and such I could maybe put a few up on the Fish Lore buy and sell thread as there's some people requesting cherry shrimp there, and maybe other places, using the enormity of the web to help. Thanks for the advice guys!