2.5 Gallon Plant Only Tank?

Rylan
So, I got a 2.5 gallon tank for the sole purpose of quarantining some small plants and got to wondering what else I could do with the tank. Looking at it comparison to my 10 gallon betta tank it, looks much too tiny for fish. So I got to wondering. Is it possible to use the tank to try some more advanced techniques/plants like dwarf baby tears with the co2 and such, just to try my hand at it without risk to any critters attempting to create a very miniature almost paridisiac looking fishless tank, or is that just a dumb idea? I wouldn't mind putting the work into it even if I couldn't stock it with any aquatic life. I mean, we plant terrestrial plants to watch them grow, so why not?

Also, I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. I wasn't too sure where to put it and I'm still pretty new at this hobby heh.

edit: I looked at some of the really heavily planted 2.5 gallons out there and got to wondering what's possible. If you were forced to make a project out of it and use your creativity, what would you do with a 2.5 gallon tank? If 2.5 gallon is too small of a box for your creativity lets say...5.5 gallon? Let's throw some spaghettI at the wall.

Sage Exotics
I think it could work, it’s just that it’s so small you wouldn’t be able to put much in it. If you want an underwater garden, go for it but it might be a bit difficult. I’d get a snail for it, too. When you have a little leaf that’s dying somewhere you can’t get it I find snails useful. And the plants absorb the waste and food like fertilizer so it won’t damage the plants (just make sure you get a plant-safe snail).

Lunnietic
A handful of shrimp would do okay in a 2.5 gallon tank.

Rylan
Yes, that's true! The thing is I think my water is too soft for most invertebrates' shells/such. I'm sure there's ways to supplement that though. I'm imagining something like this in my head, but I'm nowhere this near level but it could be cool to try to attempt a miniaturized version. Is it even real? How is this even done?

Lunnietic
Yes, that's true! The thing is I think my water is too soft for most invertebrates' shells/such. I'm sure there's ways to supplement that though. I'm imagining something like this in my head, but I'm nowhere this level but it could be cool to try to attempt a miniaturized version. Is it even real? How is this even done?
Oh wow. That is beautiful. I'd want it as my main tank though..

Sage Exotics
It’s real, patience, skill and trial and error are needed for that. I think with the right shaped rocks and enough plants you could do it.

Rylan
Ha, I know what you mean Lunnietic I guess if I want to get that detailed I should try something like a 5.5 gal and just keep the 2.5 for temporary quarantining of very, very small additions. But definitely want to attempt some kind of nano planted-tank. I sure am acquiring a lot of fishy things...

For sure, Sage Exotics, I'm curious what kinds of things other people have done.

Sage Exotics
Some aquariums are very impressive, and I can’t see why you shouldn’t try. Like I said, get some rocks you like and pick out the right plants and it should work. I think it would look really beautiful with some RCS and BVS, I still recommend a snail for it too, though.

SegiDream
Yes, that's true! The thing is I think my water is too soft for most invertebrates' shells/such. I'm sure there's ways to supplement that though. I'm imagining something like this in my head, but I'm nowhere this near level but it could be cool to try to attempt a miniaturized version. Is it even real? How is this even done?
You should watch YouTube videos about how they put some of these beautiful aquascaped nano tanks together. They put loads of money down that's for sure.

But they put like 10 layers in the substrate with all the nutrients and minerals and gosh knows what else the plants might need. Then they lay/position the hardscape and walk away from it for a day or two to consider if that is REALLY how they want it before proceeding. Then comes water and planting in stages. It's insane. But would be a lot of fun if you had lots of material to work with.

BTW there is substrate that can help you with water softness/hardness. However I use cuttlebone to help balance mine.

TexasGuppy
Maybe when I retire and have a little more time.. lol.

Mr Clown Loach
I would put some shrimp in there

Rylan
You should watch YouTube videos about how they put some of these beautiful aquascaped nano tanks together. They put loads of money down that's for sure.

But they put like 10 layers in the substrate with all the nutrients and minerals and gosh knows what else the plants might need. Then they lay/position the hardscape and walk away from it for a day or two to consider if that is REALLY how they want it before proceeding. Then comes water and planting in stages. It's insane. But would be a lot of fun if you had lots of material to work with.

BTW there is substrate that can help you with water softness/hardness. However I use cuttlebone to help balance mine.
Wow! Yeah, I’ve even exploring a lot on YouTube. It must cost some money, I’m sure. I wonder if there’s a broke college student version ha! It would be fun. I’ve heard of cuttlebone, but substrate? What substrate is that? Thanks for the reply!

Sage Exotics
I use eggshells to help with hardness. It’s good for my shrimplets exoskeleton, too, so I find it very useful. Just search up DIY calcium supplements or snail supplements. Easy, cheap, and useful. It does look a bit wired though so I’d mix it in with the substrate.

Rylan
I use eggshells to help with hardness. It’s good for my shrimplets exoskeleton, too, so I find it very useful. Just search up DIY calcium supplements or snail supplements. Easy, cheap, and useful. It does look a bit wired though so I’d mix it in with the substrate.
Now that’s one I definitely hadn’t heard of. Thank you for sharing!

Aly's_Betta
It would be kinda cool to make a little water forest for the shrimp and watch them hang out in the plants. Mine love getting the zoomies and darting in and out between the leaves.

Rylan
It would be kinda cool to make a little water forest for the shrimp and watch them hang out in the plants. Mine love getting the zoomies and darting in and out between the leaves.
That’s a great idea! An underwater forest would be cool. Shrimp get the zoomies? Haha I had no idea, that’s awesome! I’m gonna have to look into the care sheets and see what else that would involve.

Aly's_Betta
That’s a great idea! An underwater forest would be cool. Shrimp get the zoomies? Haha I had no idea, that’s awesome! I’m gonna have to look into the care sheets and see what else that would involve.
They're not too hard to care for. And yeah, sometimes when I check on my shrimp they're zooming around the tank as fast as they can possibly go. It's really entertaining

JAMarlow
I use egg shells from my boiled eggs, too. Make sure the inner membrane is taken off. I then crush them by hand and put them in my substrate. Most of it I put a very thin layer of my small gravel. Only a few small crumbled pieces ever move to the surface, usually dug up by my Amano shrimp when they are on their cleaning passed. I've done this in several places around the tank, not just one. So far I haven't had any snail or shrimp shell problems, and the Amano have molted successfully.

goldface
Red Cherry Shrimp and Amanos don't mind soft water. Sometimes my KH doesn't evenshow a reading. When it does, it's usually 1 or 3.

Rylan
Red Cherry Shrimp and Amanos don't mind soft water. Sometimes my KH doesn't evenshow a reading. When it does, it's usually 1 or 3.
That’s good to know! as I don’t normally get a reading either.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
adh/smile
Replies
Views
CharcoalMoose
Replies
Views
ruud
Top Bottom