2.5 Gallon Neocaridina Tank

Ariavin

Hey guys. Got the tank to panted and wet.

Waiting on the filter from Amazon and I’m gonna mod it to be shrimp safe.

IMG_0700.JPG
IMG_0701.JPG

Plants are Java moss, anubius, bolbitis fern and a Marimo.

I hope that’s enough grazing area for it. I’m wanting to get some duckweed or some other floating stuff plant.

ponitboss

Hey guys. Got the tank to panted and wet.

Waiting on the filter from Amazon and I’m gonna mod it to be shrimp safe.

IMG_0700.JPG
IMG_0701.JPG

Plants are Java moss, anubius, bolbitis fern and a Marimo.

I hope that’s enough grazing area for it. I’m wanting to get some duckweed or some other floating stuff plant.

Nice tank what type of filter are you looking to get. A sponge filter would be good, if u get a hang on back filter you will need to cover the intake tube so shrimp won't get sucked up

kallililly1973

In a tank that size I would go with a small corner sponge filter it will give plenty of area for BB to establish and will b 100% shrimp safe. Nice setup!

Ariavin

It’s going to be a small internal filter that I’m able to pack with filter floss so that the shrimp aren’t able to get stuck in it.

EbiAqua

It’s going to be a small internal filter that I’m able to pack with filter floss so that the shrimp aren’t able to get stuck in it.

They can still get sucked into the intake. The best option for a tank that size if you don't want to take up too much space is a HOB filter with a sponge cover over the intake. I have one on my 2 gallon shrimp tank and never have issues.

Ariavin

I really don’t want a HOB. It’s a rimless tank and so I wanted something that was internal. The one I’m getting. It has a max flow rate of 66 GPH.

Ariavin

Trying to decide which variation to get once my tank has cycled. I’m debating yellow backs, Bloody Marys, or orange sakuras. I want something that will stand out in that tank.

Ariavin

How did you guys decide on what kind to get ?

Jimmie93

You should just get a sponge filter they have some on ebay that attaches to the side of the tank.

And for shrimp these are actually better because the shrimp can clean them and feed off the bacteria.

Ariavin

You should just get a sponge filter they have some on ebay that attaches to the side of the tank.

And for shrimp these are actually better because the shrimp can clean them and feed off the bacteria.

I didn’t want a sponge filter because of the airline and bubbles.

Ariavin

Got my filter. Made it shrimp safe. Got my brightwell aquatics gh+/kh+ and I have it to 210 tds and gh of 8 with kh of 5.

Ariavin

Bump

EbiAqua

Is a ph of 6.4 too low for Neocaridina?
No, its fine. I used to keep cherries at 5.4.

As long as it is stable and not in the extreme ranges of their tolerance, they should be fine.

Ariavin

No, its fine. I used to keep cherries at 5.4.

As long as it is stable and not in the extreme ranges of their tolerance, they should be fine.

Awesome! Thank you. Now I wait for it to finish cycling.
Then I get some snails, check my levels to make sure it stays stable, then shrimp. Leaning toward either gold back yellows or black rose.

Nuchi

depending on the type of sponge filter you probably could feed the airline through a pipe and the out line can feed straight back into the pipe. Did something like that at one point to stop surface agitation from bothering the duckweed if that is the problem.

But I have two bubble features one that rotates the water by openly directing there flow from one side of the tank to the other (fun watching shrimp and snails surfing it) and the other is a sponge filter(Shrimp feed off it a lot between feedings) they both exit the tank in an enclosed area to prevent bothering the floating plants.

Ariavin

New additions. MTS and Buce. Unsure of what variety.

Image1569444815.372162.jpg
Image1569444831.657906.jpg

Ariavin

The tannins are driving me nuts. Anything I can do to stop my driftwood from leaking? I thought it would have let up in a month.

Giul

The tannins are driving me nuts. Anything I can do to stop my driftwood from leaking? I thought it would have let up in a month.

Water changes and boiling the driftwood are the best solutions but you would have to remove the wood from the aquarium for that route

Ariavin

Water changes and boiling the driftwood are the best solutions but you would have to remove the wood from the aquarium for that route

Water changes and Purigen.

Thanks guys. I’m running carbon now, but it doesn’t seem to do anything. Am I able to get purigen at Petco?

Giul

Thanks guys. I’m running carbon now, but it doesn’t seem to do anything. Am I able to get purigen at Petco?

I believe so

Ariavin

I believe so

I got some, put it in a smaller filter bag. Here is the tank not even 8 hours later.

Image1570337439.802276.jpg

Giul

Wow, I didn’t realize how quickly it soaks up the tannins! I added it to my tank for clarity but I didn’t have tannins at the time

Ariavin

Wow, I didn’t realize how quickly it soaks up the tannins! I added it to my tank for clarity but I didn’t have tannins at the time

I’m definitely a believer now.

saltwater60

Agreed take it out and boil it or you could add a bag of carbon for a while.

Ariavin

Agreed take it out and boil it or you could add a bag of carbon for a while.

I’m running purigen now and love the stuff.

Ariavin

1 month update

Ariavin

IMG_0786.JPG

Ariavin

Update. Got some cherries and an Amano.

Ariavin

I ordered more cherries for this tank so I’d have a good beginning breeding stock. Ordered 10 from flip aquatics and they sent 12 of them. I have a random blue and a weird purple in the mix, but oh well. I can selectively breed out the colors I want in that case.

DSC_2524.NEF.jpg

59608656795__66CC219A-87AD-4EE0-BA3C-BA1B27D5DF89.JPG

Rmp206

Neat little tank

altwitch

I have a dedicated 2 sided shrimp/snail tank and has just really bloomed. Recommend as much moss as you can tolerate. On the subject of filters agree that sponge is the best way to go. I have used both bottom sponges with powerheads and moved to HOB sponge filters with air pump. If you were to consider the round variety explore size as the big ones take up too much space and are overkill for a small tank. There are smaller varieties of bottom sponge filters that work just fine and are much more unobtrusive.

WRT species would consider a yellow, orange or something with a white component to coloration to provide contrast against the dark substrate.

Ariavin

I’m loving this little tank. But I really love all my tanks.

Ariavin

Babies!

IMG_1182.JPG

altwitch

Congrats!

Ariavin

Thanks.

ayeayeron

Just a thought neos love floating plants. They will still be very happy regardless though.

ayeayeron

Nevermind. You have some lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dechi
Replies
Views
DTurner
Replies
Views
Cawafuoshi