2.5 Gallon Killifish Stocking

1. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Hello Fellow Fishlorians!

I got a free 2.5 gallon tank!

What kinds of killifish should I stock it with?

I want non-annual killifish. The one that I want the most is the Simpsonichthys santanae, but it's annual.

I know that clown killifish aren't annual, but I want something else. Pupfish or toothcarp species would work too.

If you don't know any killifish species to recommend, any other recommendations are welcome.

2. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

I love killifish. How come no annuals?
    Next free tank is mine. :)

3. Gypsy13

Ok. For someone who used to be able to read and speak Latin, I’m having such a hard time coming up with the names of my faves. One is blue and it’s some kind of mudpup. But it’s annual.
    One clown I love is the black and white banded. The other is, forgive me if I get this wrong, Lamprichthys Tangani (poodles, I’ve lost it). Anyway it’s white with hints of the palest blue. If I remember correctly.

4. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

I love annuals, but they basically die off every year and I don’t want to risk raising the eggs because my last BBS attempt was a failure.

5. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

@Gypsy13 , The black and white banded species is the only one known as Clown Killifish, Epiplatys annulatus. The other one you are thinking about is Lamprichthys tanganicus, and it gets about 7 inches long, so I don't think the OP's 2.5 gallon tank will work for that one.:eek:

@75g Discus Tank , I would suggest Aphyosemion australe, it's not a beginner fish, but I don't think you are a beginner. There are a number of other small Aphyosemion species that would be more than suitable, just a little harder to get. Just took a peek at Aquabid, not much there at the moment. AKA convention is next weekend, I imagine the breeders of some of the more interesting fish will be going there and are holding back fish for that.

My personal favorites are the "BIV" types, genus/subgenus (still being argued) Chromaphyosemion. Lots of finnage. The so-called bivittatum sold by Wetspot is actually bitaeniatum. This has been a common mistake in commercial sales for decades. Only species that gets too big for a 2.5 would be riggenbachi, known as the Giant Biv, which gets twice the size of other species in the group.

If you're a little more interested in something different, try to find some Rivulus/Laimosemion (another nomenclature dispute) agilae. A very colorful species, and the males actually like to sit in the sunshine and show off. Not hard to keep once you know its secrets. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any being offered lately, but that could also be due to the upcoming convention. Another species is the Neon Rivulus, R./L. xiphidius. Much more difficult, needs to be kept cool, but at least they are hard to breed. (Oh, wait, that's not a good thing, is it?) And yet their color makes them worth the effort, ten times over.

6. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

@Gypsy13 and @chromedome52 , thanks!

Well I can’t get the Lamprichthys tanganicus, but it’s a nice fish.

I love the Aphyosemion australe. It’s stunning!

I almost forgot, but when I got the tank for free from my last GHAC meeting, I also got a list of recommendations for it.

The pic of he list is attached below.

Attached Files:

7. Gypsy13

Thank you! I get so frustrated when I remember something only to lose it midway! I didn’t realize it got seven inches. Only remember seeing them small. Just such a beautiful color. Almost the palest of shiny sky blue. :)

8. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

I saw some aphysosemion australe at my LFS the other day. They were so beautiful, I wrote the name down and did some reading about them. They would be amazing.

9. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

Annuals are sooooo nice though!

I just don’t have the breedin experience to keep annuals though.

10. Gypsy13

A lot of work. Mostly a ton of patience. But they’re so pretty!

11. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

The one I want most is the Nothobranchius rachovii, but it’s an annual.

12. Gypsy13

Shouldn’t you go for what you want most?

13. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

I really want it, but it’s an annual.

I need to study their care first.

This tank probably won’t be set up until September because I will be gone in August for 3 weeks and I don’t want to worry about feeding for another tank.

14. Gypsy13

Study is right. Learning on the fly is NOT the way to go. I did it but don’t want to again. It’s rewarding if you’ve got the patience and energy. I’m kinda low on both.
    Why not WCMM? I just love these little guys! They’re all named Minnow so when I call them, they all swim to me. They just love me so much! (Food! Now woman!) :)

15. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

I have a couple and I don't like copying other tanks.

16. Gypsy13

Picky pearl. Well, besides killifish, what don’t you have that you might like?

17. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

Any of the species above would be awesome, but I would like a scarlet badis or maybe some chili rasboras. I wanted some sort of killifish as they are a bit less commonly kept IME and there are a ton of different color variants and species.

18. Gypsy13

They are fascinating. But the ones I love most are all annuals. Chili rasboras are pretty.

19. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

Would American Flagfish work? I saw 2 at my LFS a week ago. They might not be there anymore though.

20. Gypsy13

I’ve only heard about them. Sound super pretty. Couple inches. Mildly aggressive? I think. Just sound incredible. Tell me what you thought about them?