2.5 Gallon Fuge

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Builds' started by ObsolisPrime, Apr 11, 2017.

1. ObsolisPrime

ObsolisPrime New Member Member

So right now my tank is hitting nitrite in its cycle. 34 gallon display with a 10 gallon sump. I purchased the red sea reefer 170.

In my sump compartment I have just BARELY enough room for a 2.5 gallon fuge. I've been doing some reading and everyone always says bigger is better. I get that.

I'm wondering if it'll be worth setting up. My main goal is to get a pod setup so I can eventually keep a mandarin alive. Of course I'll throw some algae in there as well. One problem.

The fuge has a return spout and it's meant for a hang on. The pump is supposed to be submerged, however where it is located it'll sit right next to my return pump in the sump. I'm gonna have to jimmy rig some tubing and put the fuge pump in the main area of the sump. Is this a bad idea? Any thoughts would be great

2. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

2.5 gallon fuge isn't bad. If you are planning to keep a mandarin in that size of a tank, just be prepared for the work you will have to do. One thing what mandarin keepers do is make these chaeto algae balls and rotate 1 in the display tank and the others in the sump/fuge. You will have to buy copepods to seed your fuge and sump and produce a massive amount of copepods to be able to keep your mandarin thriving over time. Basically the chaeto ball is lke a safehaven/breeding ground, so you will notice the mandarin picking at it constantly, depending on the copepod population you will have to rotate the chaeto balls like every 2-3 days to keep the mandarin fed. You might even want to get a secondary set-up like a large tub, or 40G breeder tank to just re-produce copepods to feed your mandarin. They eat a lot, as you probably already know.

So to simply answer your question if 2.5 gallon fuge is all you got and is the only thing that can fit in there. then my recommendation is to do it. that's 2.5 gallons of water added and if you grow macro algae in there, every ounce you grow is helping you absorb excess nutrients. The fuge pump in the main area of the sump is fine. Assuming that your fuge pump's GPH is relatively low, like 125 gph or less. You will just need to monitor the flow rate of how quickly the water is going in the sump and how quickly the water is going out.

3. OP
    OP
    ObsolisPrime

Hey Nart thanks for the reply. Very good information. I was also curious, the return spout on the fuge would feed back into the main sump portion. Would the copepods that thrive in the fuge collect in the sponge that separates the main sump compartment to the return chamber? Or are they small enough to sift through.

4. Nart

I am a bit unfamiliar with the sponge you are talking about, because I had the CPR HOB refuge and that had no sponge. Are you using the eshoppes refuge? Can you link me to the sponge location and what's the point of the sponge?

5. OP
    OP
    ObsolisPrime

It's not really a sponge it's more of a black media collector. The water pours from the main compartment into this black filter to collect algae, etc. before hitting the return pump

6. OP
    OP
    ObsolisPrime

[​IMG]resembles the black portion

7. Nart

That's a sponge, just a different sized hole.

For your sump, do you run a filter sock? You really don't need to use that sponge. It'll just collect gunk in the long run and become a little nitrate factory.

8. OP
    OP
    ObsolisPrime

The overflow pours into a chamber which then passes through a 400 micron(I think) filter sock, then into the main compartment, where it hits that sponge and then the return chamber

9. Nart

Yeah - then, no need for the sponge in your 2.5 refuge. Nothing to really filter.

10. OP
    OP
    ObsolisPrime

No the sponge is in the sump. The fuge doesn't have anything like that.

11. Nart

It should be fine to be honest. But I don't see a point in running that sponge at the end of your sump since you've already done all the filtering with your micron sock

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice