2.5 gallon betta tank

1. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

2.5 gallon planted shrimp tank

I've been dying to buy another betta, but I can't guarantee that the male betta (Admiral Ackbar) currently living in the mostly-empty 55 gallon will behave himself once we add more fish, so I'm guessing he'll have to move back to the 10 gallon soon. I've been looking at small tanks, but having to buy a tank and a filter or a set that comes with both is usually more money than I'm willing to spend. (I don't currently have a job, so I don't have a lot of room for fish finances in my budget).

HOWEVER yesterday I was at PetCo (I've never actually been, mostly because of the horror stories I've heard) and I saw a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter on sale...for $10!! You bet I snatched that right up. I was already planning to buy a few platys for our 55 gallon (who are currently quarantining as in the 10 gallon) and I didn't want to hassle with too many fish. (We live in Chicago, but do our fish shopping in the suburbs.) Also, the PetCo bettas, while not horrifying, none really called to me, so I wanted to wait until I found the most awesomest betta ever. (Also we had to set up the 10 gallon again, move the platys in, and do a water change on the 55 gallon, so that would be a lot of fish-tank-setting-up if I did the 2.5 gallon tank too.)

Plus, there's this guy I saw at a PetSmart and I reallyyy want to get him. Unfortunately I doubt he'll still be there by Tuesday when I go back (saw him on Friday night), especially since he was sitting right in the front. I can hope, though...

Attached Files:

2. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Here's a quick picture, though the tank is a little empty at the moment! There's also a "moonlight" setting, which is kind of fun.

Attached Files:

3. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Wow, you got that for $10? Score!
    :;hf

4. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm still not sure why it was on clearance. Couldn't sell, I guess? Works for me!

5. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Guess what? I was at PetCo today, and guess what I found for $9.98? SCORE! :party0049:

Yep, I got the same 2.5 gallon you have. And I picked up a pack of the filters (since the guy said they would probably discontinue those also) for $3.99.

I might set it up tonight as a QT tank for some swordtails that I'm hoping to get tomorrow! ;D

6. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Ooh I'll have to get some filters when I'm out tomorrow then. Mine's already set up on my desk, waiting for a betta to call it home :)

7. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

The tank needs more cover, a cave and som top cover, its too expsosed. Also heater of course. As far as cycling, which are you doing? A cycle in a 2.5 is not reccomended to much, they are unstable and tend to crash with the slightest of ease, i mean slightest. Theres also the 100% clean out twice a week option, reccomended.

8. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

It already has a heater. I have a little cave, I can move it over but I wanted to make sure there was plenty of space to swim around since it's only 2.5 gallons. I wasn't going to do anything to cycle since it's so small, just do very frequent water changes.

9. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Then remove the filter, or take out the media. It will initiate the cycle. You dont want that happening. As far as frequency goes you should only need 2-3 100% clean outs a week.

10. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Say again? ???

Are you saying to have NO filtration in the 2.5? Clarify please!!:)

11. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Yes. if the tank isnt being cycled, NO filtration. Thats how it works. The filters ONLY purpose is to provide a surface for bacteria to grow and to funnel water into that bacteria for the nitrogen cycle. If you are changing the water out the amonia doesnt have a chance to build to anything readable.

12. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Personally, I'd go ahead and get it cycled first and do weekly changes.
    Of course there is more than one way of handling a small tank.

13. Firefly's Love Member Member

I would also add that to some degree, filters also pick up smaller particles and debris that run around tanks. Now this obviously isn't true of all filters, especially tiny ones, and with large chunks the best method is gravel vacuuming. Filters also provide surface agitation to keep the lovely scum off the surface. Yeah, that stuff is the bane of my existence at the moment. Especially in a dead zone of the unfiltered half of my ten gal.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

14. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

OK, thank you. That makes sense. :)

15. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Huh. Well isn't this confusing. I, too, like the filter for picking up chunks and agitating the surface of the water, but I was planning on doing frequent water changes.

If I did want to cycle the tank, how would I do it besides TSS? (It's a little to pricey for my tastes.) Are there any small fish I could use to cycle it, then possibly add them to the 55 gallon? I'm not sure what would be capable of thriving in such a small tank. I'd suggest a few tetras, but I know they're not very hardy.

If I decide to not cycle it, is there any way I can filter the water without creating a cycle? Or will bacteria live in any media? At this point it's seeming like it would be easier to just do biweekly water changes, rather than pay $15 for TSS or buy a cycle-fish and then have to incorporate it into the 55 gallon community.

16. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Just clean off the media every water change and dont put the actual sponge(wirey whit/black thing) in there. Just put in a little pad. That way its just filtering off the crud in the tank, though a bubbler can cause agitation too. Another problem with filters in that small of a tank is that they can cause too heavy a current for the fish.

17. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I have small white sponge-type pad things, I can use one of those and just cover the intake vents (since the actual filter is pretty tall). Fortunately the filter causes only a slight ripple on the top of the tank.

Edit: Question, though...what is the difference between using the filter media that is in the filter versus putting a different pad in? I figured the bacteria will cling to any surface, since I know they live in the substrate and on the walls, to a certain extent. What would happen if I left the filter in as is, and also did frequent water changes?

18. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Out of curiosity, are there any fish other than bettas that would do well in a 2.5 gallon?

19. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

No, 2.5 gallons is too small for any fish, really.

Why can't you divide your 10 gallon tank for the two bettas?

20. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Well, the rule of thumb I've read around here is that 2.5 is the minimum volume for bettas. As for dividing the tank, I could but it seems that would be stressful if they're flaring at each other all the time.