[2.5 gal tank] small but what kind of equip. do i Really Need?

cowizzle

Reaction score

hey all  ;D
i got a 2.5 gal tank for christmas and it's been cycling for about a week now. the water got a bit murky/cloudy after day three and i read that it means the cycle
s been complete? since it's a small tank, i figured that was about right. i gave it a couple more days and then got some molly fish. i think it's kinda crowded because i have 5 of them in there. they seem to be doing fine though...

as far as equipment goes, my tank came with a filter and a water prep solution. i also got a thermometer. i wanted an air pump but i thought it wasnt necessary since it's a small tank. the problem i have is keeping the water temperature stable at night because it goes down a bit. should i get a water heater?

*im planning on gettin at least a 20 gal tank to move them in.. and just use the small one for the fry. im still new at this so opinions would be helpful. thanks guys!

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes you would want a heater for the tank, marineland stealth fully submergilble I think is the type chickadee uses and has small tanks and it keeps it stable. Check with her to make sure. Yes it's crowded and you will want that 20 gallon asap, have you tested your water parameters yet? Using the small one is a good idea for the fry. Just wondering is it the 2.5 gallon mini-bow type? Hope you enjoy this new hobby.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was right, check here

cowizzle

Reaction score

hey thanks! im not so sure i can get that 20 gal tank right away but i will try. i'll also check out the site for that heater you recommended so i can get it asap. and to be honest, i havent even checked the water parameters. i barely read the nitrogen cycle when i had filled the tank with water. havent even gotten a test kit yet. which would you recommend?

and yess i got the minibow 2.5 or sumtin like that for christmas. it's purple... gosh. =/

by the way, are you sure it's ok to use that one? i tried to find it online and so do i go with the 50 watt one since it's the smallest? i dont think they'll even have one for my tank size. the smallest i found online so far is for 5 gal. this sucks.

my tank is just too small and i have no choice but to deal with it right now since i dont think ill be able to get a bigger tank any time soon. im sad now. oh well, i guess i gotta go return the fihs.. well, most of them.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you check down the list a ways there are 25 watt heaters listed. They are cheaper here than anywhere right now. These do a very good job in small tanks but you will probably have to set the heater 2 degrees cooler than you want the tank to accomodate the small size. I am glad to hear that you have a thermometer to check the tank. These heaters are LIFETIME warrantied so you be sure to keep the box and receipt when you buy one of these and if it ever goes out on you it can be replaced free.

Rose

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes I would return the fish and invest in the heater and this test kit. If you wana go through the haslle you could sell your tank and buy a 5 gallon hex at wal-mart for 35$ or you can continue with this tank and get some african dwarf frogs or shrimp.

Fish Ace

Reaction score
This is the best thing you should do_ Get a 20 gallon + filter + air pump + a heater. Then Use the 2.5 gallon to be used for fry. I do the same thing only that I have 280 gallon and a 92 gallon tanks.

AlfaBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
For small tanks you could either use the 25W or 50W Stealth heaters, they're both the same length at 8.5". I own both the 25W and 50W models one for a 2.5 gallon and the other for a 15 gallon.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You do not want to use a 50 watt heater in a 2.5 gallon tank unless you are trying to raise the temperature of the tank more than 15 degrees above the room temperature. Most fish do not require that high a heat and it could be dangerous, unless you are keeping your room at 65 to 67 degrees.

The 2.5 gallon tank NEEDS to have a decent filter and a 25 watt heater. Everything else, gravel, decorations, plants or other extras is optional. It just makes your tank look a little nicer. BUT the decent (not undergravel) filter and heater are not options, they are necessities. If you are going to keep Tropical fish and want to help them be more healthy and happy a small airpump with an airstone is nice. For that you will need an airpump, airline, check valve and a control valve (to control the amount of airflow). If you get a sponge filter for the tank you will need the airline, check valve, and control valve but you can use it to filter and be an airstone type of thing too so you actually save money and don't need both.

Rose

AlfaBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
All the 50W heater does it heat up the tank faster. Since it has a built-in thermostat it won't overheat the tank even if it's a small 2.5 gallon. Since it cost about the same as the 25W I'd go with the 50W since it's the same size but can also be used for larger tanks when you decide to upgrade.

adamzieger

Valued Member
Reaction score
For The price you will spend on a heater, or airpump and all that stuff, you can buy a Fully Set up 5.5-10gal tank with everything you need. 2.5gal is just a way for companys to get your money, for real what will you have living in there 1 Minnow?
1'inch per gal.

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon hexagon with two mollies in it. I did have three but I knew it would be too crowded.I have marineland heater..very good can be completely immersed in water, and a very good filter, I got it becuase of the filter...it has a bio wheel. I thought they still might be too crowded but after i got the plants the two mollies were and still are extremel active. Oh i also have a undergravel filter aswell. they are eavh about almost an inch. I mostly mad because the expert at the fish store said i could raise five mollies in there.. i think you just have to use common sense

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom