2.5 gal stocking

135Rawr531

Reaction score
Hi! I’ve had my betta fish in a 2.5 gallon aquarium. Recently, she passed away.
I was wondering, what else could I put in a 2.5 gallon tank? I was thinking shrimp maybe? Is there anything else besides a shrimp and a betta fish? Without overstocking. I know there are mixed opinions on betta fish in tanks smaller than 5 gallons! Lol. So, what are some stocking ideas for a 2.5 gallon aquarium?

Best Answer - View AmnScott's answer
OP
135Rawr531

135Rawr531

Reaction score
JettsPapa said:
Unless your water pH is low I'd suggest neocaridina (red cherry is the most common, but there are other colors).
I heard red cherry shrimp breed pretty quickly. Will they outgrow the tank eventually?

AmnScott

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
135Rawr531 said:
I heard red cherry shrimp breed pretty quickly. Will they outgrow the tank eventually?
No, red cherry shrimp don't typically live long (1-2 years) so the population will be pretty controlled. They can be hard to breed though, you need the right water parameters and setup.

I had a 5 gallon tank that got a pretty large RCS population after about a year. Took the extra RCS to my LFS and got some store credit lol. Might be an option if it happens.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
135Rawr531 said:
They might, but as AmnScott said above, the extras should be pretty easy to sell.

LadfromLondon

Well Known
Reaction score
Do you have another tank? What you could do, is feed any baby/small shrimp you don’t want to some bigger fish or put them in tanks which are likely to nibble away

New Threads