2.5 don't know what to put in it

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by kidster9700, Jul 12, 2015.

1. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

Okay so I have the substrate like this ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436746143.325199.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436746154.062331.jpg
    And the top is fitted glass but I want to put a spacer in or something unless it's okay. I don't know if oxygen gets in.
    What should I put in here? I already have plans for a 10g shrimp tank. I just want one solo thing in here. I wish I could do a fiddler crab but they need like ten gallons right? Same with ADF? I could put a betta in but I like to have a filter with my bettas and I can't add a filter to this tank because the hood is fitted glass.
    What about snails? I could do like two snails right?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, snails would work, and one ADF would work.

3. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

If I can do one ADF that would be perfect! I know nothing about them though. I want to put a little suction cup platform on the side because they're semi aquatic right?

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I think they are fully aquatic. Lucy can help with them, as can 77Impala.

5. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

6. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Okay thank you! It sounds like an ADF is perfect for this tank :) I don't know what my lighting options will be so I'm not sure if I can do live plants. Maybe some anacharis. Will it be okay without a filter though? I can't cut a notch in the glass lid for the cable...

7. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I think you can get an internal filter for a tank that size. I think my 2.5 gallon has one. Here it is:

8. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436748017.155806.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436748024.992780.jpg
    So I have this cave but it barely fits so I'm worried the frog would get stuck between it and the glass in the back part. What do you think?

9. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

I use those little 2.5 gallon tanks for shrimp :)

10. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Okay, so I grabbed that grass type plant from another tank and I don't really want to deal with cycling. The big cave I don't think is going to work. I'm going to put some anacharis clippings in there tomorrow I think and maybe get some slate rocks to make a cave. My petco sells "betta plants" just little plants like the hair grass I have that I think I will put in there. I want it to look like a little pond and I think the anacharis will help with that. Any other plant suggestions for low light that stat tiny? ALSO could I have a mystery/nerite snail or an Amano shrimp in there? Something to help with algae.

11. Dom90

I think you could do an anubias. They are low light and low maintenance. But they also grow slowly.
    I think Amano may be big for a 2.5.

12. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Okay, I actually have a small anubias in my Molly fry tank that I want to move out so that should be great! Unfortunately bladder snail eggs hitched a ride on it and the snails chomped through the stems and so it's missing some leaves now...

13. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Hey so if I use anacharis cuttings from my well established tank, and other plants from established tanks, and I know water doesn't carry bacteria really but sometimes it does, basically if I fill this with stuff only from established tanks it will insta cycle right? I can water check for nitrites and ammonia but I could get the frog today probably.

14. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

How about getting TSS?

:)

15. Dom90

Well I'm not sure if plants have bacteria on them or not but you could do a "frog in" cycle with Seachem Stability :D

16. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

TSS?

And I want to put in a piece of driftwood and I'm pretty sure that carries bacteria.

17. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

You can also stick a sponge into another tank and stick it into the 2.5 once it accumulates bacteria

:)

18. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Actually I have a sponge on the intake for my 38. I could just use that then probably.

19. Dom90

That would probably have enough bacteria for the frog.

20. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

I have a couple small pieces I can take from my 38 or I can get one from the store tanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice